An Unexpected Message
Yesterday before taking Riley to school, I was getting my breakfast and sitting down to the table to study the Book of Mormon. Just then, I heard a ping on my phone that indicated that I had a Facebook Messenger message. I wasn't expecting anything from anyone, so I was curious as to who it might be and why they would be messaging me in the morning. I opened the app and was surprised see that it was a message from an old neighbor of ours, Lisa Forster.
Lisa, her husband David, and their two children, Ethan and Ava were our upstairs neighbors back in 2007-2008 when we lived in the student family housing in Eugene, Oregon while Jacob attended the University of Oregon's pre-medical program. They were a wonderful family, and were easy to talk with. Caleb and Ethan played well together, and we enjoyed them as neighbors. Caleb had been invited to Ethan's 7th birthday party. We loved them!
The summer before Caleb's sixth birthday, we went to California for a little vacation to see family and take Caleb to Disneyland for the first time. When we returned home, we were immediately approached by another neighbor. She informed us that the Forsters had been visiting family in California, as well, when there was an accident at the pool. Ethan had drowned. We were absolutely stunned and devastated by the news. The Forsters had yet to return home, but we resolved that we would do what we could to help and comfort them.
After they returned, it was heartbreaking to see them hurting. Lisa felt as if her Ethan was gone, melted into the void, and that she had been robbed of her baby. Everything was a reminder of him, and it was almost more than anyone could bear. More than anything, I wanted to give her the reassurance that Ethan was not gone. She would be reunited with him again and that her son would always be hers. I wanted her and her family to feel the peace that the gospel of Jesus Christ and its restored truths can bring. So, I asked Lisa if she and her family would like to come over and visit with our church's missionaries to hear a message of hope. She agreed and we welcomed them over. I gave Lisa a Book of Mormon and the elders shared a sweet message. I also bore my testimony. Lisa and her family were polite, but did not appear to have any real interest in what was shared.
Honestly, I was a bit disheartened. I wanted this for them so badly, but they didn't see to want what we were offering. They didn't say anything more about it after that, and I didn't press them. We simply continued to remain friends, even after they moved out of the apartment (it was too painful to see Ethan's room and have memories of him there). I later heard that Lisa had a surprise, miracle pregnancy not long afterwards. Another daughter, Summer, was born to them within just a couple years of Ethan's passing. After that, we sent occasional Christmas cards and were Facebook friends. As the years passed, our families criss-crossed the country for work and studies. Lisa and her family currently live in Athens, Ohio.
Back to my surprise message. I opened it up and this is what it said:
I am still in disbelief that this is truly happening for someone that I care about. How many times in talks and lessons over my lifetime have I heard about planting seeds of faith? How often have I heard about the miracles that can work over time, and how we may never know or see the results of the seeds we have sown? And, now, by the grace of the Savior, I am blessed to be able to witness it for myself! Blessed to be a part of the work and see the joy on the other end as the harvest begins! I am so very grateful that I had the courage then to speak up, to invite, and to share.
Sharing the gospel can feel awkward at first. It can feel like we are putting ourselves out there with the possibility of having what is most precious to us be scorned or tossed aside. Yet if we don't find the courage to offer what we know and feel to others, they won't have the chance to choose for themselves, and possibly keep a portion of our offering in their hearts. I am so grateful for the Spirit. It is real. It is amazing. It works miracles. I feel a bit like Ammon when he is glorying in his God and the wonderful things he was able to do with God and His Spirit helping him. It is pure joy.
Lisa, her husband David, and their two children, Ethan and Ava were our upstairs neighbors back in 2007-2008 when we lived in the student family housing in Eugene, Oregon while Jacob attended the University of Oregon's pre-medical program. They were a wonderful family, and were easy to talk with. Caleb and Ethan played well together, and we enjoyed them as neighbors. Caleb had been invited to Ethan's 7th birthday party. We loved them!
The summer before Caleb's sixth birthday, we went to California for a little vacation to see family and take Caleb to Disneyland for the first time. When we returned home, we were immediately approached by another neighbor. She informed us that the Forsters had been visiting family in California, as well, when there was an accident at the pool. Ethan had drowned. We were absolutely stunned and devastated by the news. The Forsters had yet to return home, but we resolved that we would do what we could to help and comfort them.
After they returned, it was heartbreaking to see them hurting. Lisa felt as if her Ethan was gone, melted into the void, and that she had been robbed of her baby. Everything was a reminder of him, and it was almost more than anyone could bear. More than anything, I wanted to give her the reassurance that Ethan was not gone. She would be reunited with him again and that her son would always be hers. I wanted her and her family to feel the peace that the gospel of Jesus Christ and its restored truths can bring. So, I asked Lisa if she and her family would like to come over and visit with our church's missionaries to hear a message of hope. She agreed and we welcomed them over. I gave Lisa a Book of Mormon and the elders shared a sweet message. I also bore my testimony. Lisa and her family were polite, but did not appear to have any real interest in what was shared.
Honestly, I was a bit disheartened. I wanted this for them so badly, but they didn't see to want what we were offering. They didn't say anything more about it after that, and I didn't press them. We simply continued to remain friends, even after they moved out of the apartment (it was too painful to see Ethan's room and have memories of him there). I later heard that Lisa had a surprise, miracle pregnancy not long afterwards. Another daughter, Summer, was born to them within just a couple years of Ethan's passing. After that, we sent occasional Christmas cards and were Facebook friends. As the years passed, our families criss-crossed the country for work and studies. Lisa and her family currently live in Athens, Ohio.
Back to my surprise message. I opened it up and this is what it said:
"Hi Stephanie, I've felt compelled to write you for some time to thank you. I don't know if I ever fully expressed my gratitude for the support you gave after my son died. The time with your family, the conversation with the missionaries, sharing the Book of Mormon brought me more comfort at that time than anything else. In the years that followed, I have reflected on what was shared. I attended several churches but didn't feel that sense of wholeness and peace I was looking for. Recently, my youngest daughter asked to attend church. I reached out to a Mormon family we know and asked if we could go to church with them. From the first meeting, I felt at home - not just being among new friends but spiritually. It's the same comfort I felt talking with you and the missionaries. Although I know my decision will cause ripples in my family, my daughter and I are taking the steps to become baptized. I think my older daughter will end up joining us, but probably not right away. She's a teenager and embraces cynicism, but she finds herself drawn to the Latter Day Saints the same way I do. So, again I want to say thank you. I'm not sure I would have arrived at this place without you and most likely would have spent my life feeling unsettled and lost. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas."I cannot fully express the feelings that went through me as I read this. I literally felt like my heart would burst for joy. Tears sprang to my eyes, and I was weeping like a child. Poor Riley thought that I'd received horrible news or something and was worried for me, but I reassured him that this was my happy cry. The same kind of tears as when I am overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit touching my heart. It has been TEN YEARS since that time when we were together, and over the course of that time, the Holy Ghost has slowly been working in Lisa and preparing her. And that miracle daughter of hers with her own desire to find her Heavenly Father has finally been the catalyst she needed to act.
I am still in disbelief that this is truly happening for someone that I care about. How many times in talks and lessons over my lifetime have I heard about planting seeds of faith? How often have I heard about the miracles that can work over time, and how we may never know or see the results of the seeds we have sown? And, now, by the grace of the Savior, I am blessed to be able to witness it for myself! Blessed to be a part of the work and see the joy on the other end as the harvest begins! I am so very grateful that I had the courage then to speak up, to invite, and to share.
Sharing the gospel can feel awkward at first. It can feel like we are putting ourselves out there with the possibility of having what is most precious to us be scorned or tossed aside. Yet if we don't find the courage to offer what we know and feel to others, they won't have the chance to choose for themselves, and possibly keep a portion of our offering in their hearts. I am so grateful for the Spirit. It is real. It is amazing. It works miracles. I feel a bit like Ammon when he is glorying in his God and the wonderful things he was able to do with God and His Spirit helping him. It is pure joy.

Comments