Remembering Ethan

We were really slammed upon our return to Eugene and real life again. One of our neighbors dropped by the day after our arrival to let us know that the little boy who lived in the apartment right above us, Ethan Forster, had died tragically along with his grandfather in a swimming pool accident in Northern California while we were away. I was absolutely stunned. Ethan, who was only a grade ahead of Caleb, had been playing with Caleb just before we left for California ourselves. What was a real sock in the gut to me was that I had even mailed him an invitation to attend Caleb's big friends birthday party scheduled for this Saturday. Ethan's own birthday party was supposed to be on the following day. Apparently, Ethan had been on his first holiday on his own visiting his grandparents and, while the grandma was away making lunch, Ethan and his grandpa drowned in the swimming pool. Autopsy reports found that both that suffered head injuries before drowning, which led them to believe that they might have bonked heads while Ethan might have been jumping into his grandpa's arms or something.
It is just absolutely devastating. It just doesn't even seem like it can be real. Ethan's family hasn't come home yet from California where they held the funeral services, so I haven't even been able to give them our condolences, but we have been praying for them every day. Even with my knowledge of Heavenly Father's plan and that our family will be together eternally, I just don't know how I could cope with the sudden and tragic loss of one of my own babies.
So, now, we are remembering Ethan. He was always smiling whenever we saw him. He was a huge Star Wars fan like Caleb. He loved playing on his slip 'n slide and with the outside tap with his little sister. We really enjoyed getting to know him. He was a sweet boy. I know that he is in a safe place now, under the care of our Heavenly Father. I pray that his parents and family will find comfort and peace during this most difficult of times. Our hearts go out to them.

Comments

Kristy said…
Oh that is so sad. It just is such a reminder that you never know how long you have on this Earth. It is so devastating for those parents. I don't know how I could be strong enough to go through something like that. SO sad.
Unknown said…
Wow - I have had 2 friends kids (both under 2) die from choking in the last few months. It makes me cherish my baby and makes me realize how fragile life is...we are so grateful for the plan of salvation! To lose 2 family members at once must be so hard but they are with each other on the other side which may give some peace...
lisa said…
Oh my goodness, how awful! I can't even imagine how difficult this must be for that family, and probably not too easy for you guys either. I'm so sorry for little Caleb and hope he's holding up okay... I'm sure explaining things like that to your kids must break your heart too. It definitely just makes you want to scoop your kids up and never let them go!!
Louise said…
What a sad thing to come home to.
Does Caleb understand what happened? You can sure see why it's so important to never leave one another mad or unhappy and let your loved ones know you do love them. To stay close and in touch. We're they members of the church?
jennifer casady said…
Wow, such shocking news to come home to. I can't imagine how much grief that family is experiencing. It really makes you stop and appreciate the moments you have with those you love.
Stephanie said…
No, they are not LDS. They are Seventh-Day Adventist. I am just grateful that they have a faith to give them hope and comfort them through this incredibly difficult time.