The Birthday Bear
I can't believe that my Riley Bear turned one year old! I am so sad that my baby is getting so big. He's learning new things everyday, which is SO exciting...but so sad at the same time because that means that he's no longer a baby, but is growing into a little boy.
My family planned to come up to celebrate and I wanted to do something fun as a theme. (This was my chance to take creative freedom by the horns since Riley's too young to want Puffles or Legos or Batman or bombs for his theme. he he) Jake immediately thought of doing bears. Seemed like the obvious choice. But then I had the dilemma of trying to figure out WHICH bear? Teddy bear, polar bear, Paddington Bear, panda bear, the list goes on and on.
Then, I went on to a site I found through some gals in the ward called Sweet Designs where this ridiculously talented gal puts together these A-MAZ-ING dessert and party tables full of delectable desserts with a variety of themes. It just so happened that the day I went to the site, she had just posted a guest spot for this gal that did an outdoorsy, s'mores party theme and I knew I'd found the inspiration I needed! Chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows, PLUS the camping, great outdoors, bears thing incorporated. Yesssss.
So, I set to work making a little "Riley" banner (thanks, Aunt Trisha for lending me your Cricut!) and figuring out my own version of the s'more treats I'd seen. Jake's aunt also let us borrow her indoor s'more maker! That coupled with some root "bear" bottles, our camping tablecloth (complete with campfire smell) and some foil dinners and we had a complete theme! Woohoo! (OK, I have to say that I was pretty freakin' excited. It's not like I get to throw a party like that everyday. he he)
Caleb felt that since he is now a "Bear" Cub Scout, it would be appropriate to dress up for the party in his uniform. Silly guy.
Riley had no idea what was going on, but enjoyed his dinner. (Doesn't he always?) When it came time to sing "Happy Birthday" he kinda freaked out and burst into tears, poor guy. But once we'd helped him blow out his candle and handed him his cupcake and ice cream, he was intrigued. Papa helped get him going and then his bear instincts kicked in and he was good to go.
He enjoyed ripping the wrapping paper and opening his presents. It was so fun when we'd cheer for him and he'd clap for himself. What a cutie pie!
He really liked pressing the buttons on his new baby laptop (we were hoping he'd stop attacking Daddy and Mommy's computers) and trying out his xylophone. Papa and his brothers really liked trying out his xylophone, too. (As a matter of fact, I think Caleb and Brendan have enjoyed his baby toys more than HE has!) Happy birthday, Riley Bear!

Comments