These First Weeks


It's been one heck of a ride this last couple of weeks. As if the event of moving wasn't excitement enough. The boys came home from Grandma Lou and Papa's house with yucky coughs and colds (which Grandma and Papa had been awesome about helping out with, but were terrible none-the-less). Caleb was even on meds for an ear infection! Nothing gets a parent's spirits down quite like a sick child. Helplessness in its purest form.

When we weren't tending to the infirm, we were trying to get out of boxes (at least some of us were) and get the house in order inside and out. Since it had been sittin vacant for this last month or so, we had to get right on mowing and sweeping the porches. We also learned right away about the serious business of HOA's. We were in the house not a week before we got a "violation notice" (sounds a lot more jarring than a warning right?) from our HOA. Apparently while on their last fine-tooth-comb inspection, they discovered that there were some dead tree branches lying behind one of our other bushes in the side yard. I didn't even know we HAD a side yard! So, we had to get rid of them and write out a ridiculous report for the HOA as well as call the rental agency that was also notified of our "violation" and wanted to know what action had been taken. Sheesh!

After that was cleared up, it was time to get ready for Caleb's birthday on the 29th. Caleb shocked us all by asking for a Batman birthday - seriously, where did THAT come from?! So, we had bat-cakes for breakfast and a bat signal cake for our little family party in the afternoon. Is my baby really seven!?!

A few painted, cardboard cut-out baterangs, a couple printed out villain faces and some packing boxes, and we had a cute little Batman obstacle course for our main activity.
Attired in some nifty little Batman masks, the boys had to crawl through the tunnel, do a somersault, and then toss each of the two baterangs at the bad guys, trying to get them into the boxes. I think Caleb liked the idea of showing off his somersaulting skills. Jacob attempted the course as well, but without quite as much success.

After the game, we went to open some presents only to find that the Riddler had hidden them all, leaving behind only some riddles as clues. Caleb had to read the riddles and find all his gifts hidden around the house. It was an interesting twist on opening gifts.

I think that Caleb had a fun little birthday, even if he did get jipped yet again due to another summertime move. How is it that we keep moving the week before or of his birthday? Just luck I suppose.

After Caleb's birthday, we then promptly got ready to drive back to California for my brother, Ben's wedding. Jake picked up his tux as he was going to be in the wedding party, and it was my first gig as a wedding photographer, as well, so we were both on duty for this one. I was pretty nervous. Nothing like having the greatest day of someone's life, to be remembered for generations to come, in YOUR hands. No pressure, right?

Thankfully, the wedding went well, and I think I did a pretty good job (once I finish getting them ready for printing, I'll be able to show a few and you can tell me for sure). But then it was right back home for Jake to start school yesterday, as well as register Caleb for school. And now today is JAKE'S birthday, so I'm trying to whip up one more "something" before breaking down and sleeping for a week. Is it vacation time yet? Oops, I think I missed it.

Comments

Jenn said…
So fun! I can't believe you were able to pull all that off in the middle of a move. You always have the cutest ideas. What's up with your HOA? That's why when we looked for houses we made sure they didn't have HOA's. Good thing you're only renting. Happy Birthday Caleb and Happy Birthday Jake! Good luck with school and everything as well!
Kristy said…
You never cease to amaze me girl! You have the best ideas. I am glad that he had an awesome birthday! I am so excited to see the pictures from the wedding. I am sure they are beautiful. Looks like you are getting settled in nicely. I really can't believe that you would be so careless and leave dead branches in your side yard :s. That is so silly! I am glad that all is going well. Hopefully when Caleb is in school you can get a well deserved nap!
Laurie said…
Wow! You've been busy!!! Your house is beautiful and great job with Caleb's birthday, you are so inspiring. I hope things settle into a nice routine for you soon and you get some much deserved (and probably needed) rest.

Best of luck with being a "grad" student's wife... I promise it will all pay off in the end (or at least that's what I tell myself). We sure miss you guys around here.
Shalene said…
It sounds like a really cool b-day party. Good job! I like the back patio. That looks really cool. Hope you are having fun and escaping the heat.
You are amazing! You always do great family activities! The house and yard look so nice and I bet you guys are just loving it. Happy Birthday to Caleb and Jake and good luck with school. Hope you get some rest and relaxation now! :)