Shifting into Campaign Mode
With my registration complete, my PDC filing in order, and my kickoff behind me, it is now time to go into running an election campaign. I have been looking through online resources to learn what a campaign looks like, and how to make it successful. I also connected with a conservative organization that encourages and trains conservative women to run for public office, "League of Our Own Washington." After interviewing with them over a zoom call, they accepted me as a recruit and will be assigning me a mentor. I'll be able to do zoom trainings for free!
With my accountant friend, Ryan Robinson, as my committee treasure helping me with my monthly PDC filings, I need to keep fundraising and getting my name out there. The funds from the kickoff, along with the generous donations from my family, I was able to order some of my first printed materials to pass out. Anniece Barker and I are sharing the cost by printing with me on one side and her on the other. I designed them, and then we had them professionally printed. I think they turned out well. I also designed my own business cards.
Additionally, I've been attending as many school board meetings as I can to learn more about how the district is governed and what is happening right now. I have social media accounts on Facebook and Instagram for the campaign and try to post regularly about what I'm doing. Boy, I wish that I could afford to pay some people to do all the ins and outs, or have a campaign manager, but right now it is just me and some of my friends willing to donate their time. It is A LOT to do this. Anniece and I are leaning on each other.
The other big step is to get endorsements. The community doesn't know me, so it is important to be "vetted" or to prove that I am who I say I am and can do this job well.
Anniece and I, through some contacts, were able to get applications to go to the Spokane County Republicans for an endorsement. They have a vetting process which includes going in front of a vetting committee and being asked a lot of questions. They also have an open house where candidates can set up tables with their signs and materials to share with people from the party who want to learn more. Then the precinct committee officers will all vote on who the party with endorse going into this election.
Anniece and I were able to go before the vetting committee together, which was nice. It was much less intimidating to do it with her. We also set up our table together with our combined printed flyers. Our table looked the best bar none!
I felt really good about the open house and the vetting committee interview. I found out later from a friend in the Adams ward who is a PCO that the voting got a bit ugly. There are some very passionate people who want the incumbent school board members out and really want Anniece and me in. Sounds like there was some name calling and yelling. I felt so bad to hear that people are making this ugly. I am just trying to follow a prompting and do something good to give back to my community. This is not personal towards anyone.
Here were the final scores from the vetting committee for me and my opponent. Needless to say, I got the recommendation from the Spokane County Republicans. Yay for me! That's one hurdle down!



Comments