Our First Home Church

Well, it didn't take very long for the COVID-19 outbreak to get scary. Within days of me being in Olympia, the governor mandated that schools close, and the Church sent out a notice that all worship services, activities and conferences would be canceled. Everyone was to stay home. Unfortunately, this meant that we would no longer be able to attend General Conference in a month. We had tickets and hotels rooms all ready to attend the Sunday afternoon session, our first time as a family. Ah, well. In the meantime, it was up to us to put our Come, Follow Me training to work and start holding "home church". 

I decided to make the most of having extra time on Sunday with no meetings. I made some mini donuts with my donut maker! They turned out awesome. I had Riley's approval, anyway. 




Jacob was in charge of the CFM lesson, and assigned Riley to be in charge of the music. Brendan would be in charge of preparing and passing the sacrament (we were given permission by the bishop), and Caleb and Jacob would bless it. I volunteered to help Riley and lead the music. I would play a brief sacrament song while the sacrament was prepared. Riley also put himself in charge of making up a program for our service, and he went the extra mile. 



He brought up our white board and wrote the musical numbers on it. I decided to add a music conducting element to it, as well, so I put the time signature for each song up on the board as a reference. Jacob got his Spotify Sunday playlist going on the tv while we got everything ready.


Riley and I practiced playing music as "prelude".


Since Riley was playing one of his newly learned songs, "Pioneer Children Sang as They Walked", I decided to make a few copies of the music for those of us who don't know the words...and while I was at it copied the program, too. 



I have to say that our little home church service was THE BEST. It was so special for the boys and Jacob to bless our family with the sacrament ordinance, exercising their priesthood. It was also incredible to see Riley get excited about sharing his talents with us. Everyone contributed, and I think we all felt the power of the Holy Spirit. Jacob gave a wonderful lesson. We were spiritually fed.

I am so grateful for living prophets, including our current prophet Russell M. Nelson, who have been preparing us to be self-reliant, come what may. Our home is as sacred a place as the temple. God can dwell with us here, and we can be strengthened by His spirit and the covenants we have made and strive to keep. I think we are going to enjoy home church, even if the world outside seems crazy and scary. We are prepared, so we do not need to be afraid.

Comments

Louise said…
What a wonderful sabbath day you must have had. Such talent! Know the Lord was with you all!!