Tennis Players!
Starting way back in mid-October, Kerrie Goodell found out that the local Spokane Club had indoor tennis courts...and more importantly...offered group lessons for non-members! Non-members could get up to six lessons! So, she put feelers out and a bunch of us jumped onto the tennis bandwagon to learn how to play. Some of the ladies had played a little bit, or taken a couple of lessons, but most of us had never played before period. That was me. My brother, Ben, and sister, Laura, had played in high school after I was out of the house and knew how to play, but I never learned. I had always wanted to!
Any time I had attempted to hold a racket, I had launched the balls into space. I didn't know how to even hold the racket, let alone how scoring worked, and I really didn't know any of the rules. I enjoyed working with our instructor, Jeff. He had us do all sorts of fun drills to learn the forehand, overhand and backhand, how to volley and serve, and how to move around the court. Our favorite was getting to actually scrimmage and play doubles.
I can't say that I am "good", but as the muscle memory starts to kick in, I am thrilled to see my progress. It's good exercise, and I just love the women I've been playing with. Laura Silvey, Kerrie, Megan Mortensen and I have been the most consistent lesson goers, but other players have been Amber McCombs, Heidi Stafford, Stephanie Fuhriman, and Amy Barlow. They are a fun bunch. Here's to more tennis in our futures!

Comments