Tricked By Zombies




I was tricked into throwing a birthday bash. Yep, it's true. After our amazing California trip, I was quite worn out and looking forward to a quiet family party for Riley's 7th birthday. We've never been huge birthday party throwers, but conceded to have one for special birthdays or about every other year. For age 1 (obviously), then not again until 6 (because they are old enough to have school friends to invite), again at 8 (including a baptism party), 10, and 12 (with priesthood ordination stuff). And that's as far as we've gotten. I'm assuming the next big one is 16? Anyhoo, the point is that I was thinking that we were on an off year for Riley. Silly me.

So, the Sunday before his birthday, I go to pick him up from his Primary class. He says goodbye to his classmates and teachers. Then he calls, "OK, I'll see you all at my birthday party!!!"

Hwhat?! Excuse me, did I miss something???

Apparently, in his excitement to be celebrating himself (cuz, what kid doesn't love doing that?), he had figured that he'd invite his entire class of Primary friends. All 8 of them.

Well, not wanting to break his heart or embarrass him with his friends, I caved and decided to throw together something. I texted all the moms that afternoon, with a, "Sorry for the late notice, but if you son/daughter is available, we are having a birthday party for Riley this Friday from 2-4pm." I sent the texts out into the atmosphere and waited to see if anyone would even be in town. Summers are so unpredictable. Then shockingly, nearly all of his little buddies happened to be in town and were excited to attend. So, we were really doing this thing!

Riley had been on a Plants vs. Zombies kick ever since he inherited Brendan's old Nintendo DS handheld gaming console. Brendan had downloaded the game to it, and it was Riley's favorite. So, it was no shock that he chose that for his theme, and lucky for me that gave me lots of material to work with. I was even able to figure out a treats and a special family cake.








For the activities, the kids got to paint their own flower pots, play "Pin the tie on the zombie" (which was Riley idea!), shoot the balloon zombies with Nerf guns and do a cone balancing relay. It was a seriously good time!







It was really funny because when we went to do the relay, the boys were SUUUUUUPER competitive. Ha! I don't know why I was surprised.

Then, everyone got to eat brains and get some fun treats to take home in their pots, including cherry bombs (cherry gum balls), peas and snowpeas (sixlets), and other assorted fruit dum dums.

I think Riley thought it was a pretty epic party and that's all that matters. It was a fun project for me, too. Happy 7th birthday, Riley!



Comments