Star Wars: The Jerdons Awaken

As soon as we caught wind that the Star Wars franchiase had been sold to Disney and that they intended to make a seventh installment of the Star Wars movie saga, we, like every other geek family...and were wigging out with excitement. Ha! But, then we realized that it would be a solid couple of years before they would have a script, a title, a cast, let alone a trailer. Ugh.

We waited with baited breath (for a million years!) for any tidbits of information detailing its storyline, the characters, and when we would be able to see it! We were really stoked when it was revealed that Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher would be coming back as Luke, Han and Leia, along with C3-PO, R2-D2 and Chewbacca. Serious dancing in the streets.

Then the first teaser trailers started coming out and we were drooling. Ok, I'm being overly dramatic, but it was pretty heavy stuff around here. The boys (including Jacob) (ok, and me) must have watched them a dozen times each, scrutinizing them for details, clues, anything. Yeah, we're sort of pathetic like that, but we don't care. Many a discussion was had around the dinner table speculating.

So, as soon as tickets for the December opening day FINALLY went on sale online in October, I started plotting how we could make it happen. Since it would be rated PG-13 and Riley still isn't really that into Star Wars yet, we knew that we'd have to find a sitter. Plus there was the fact that we wanted to see it opening weekend when it would surely be nutso and the lines gigantic, meaning that we'd need extra time to go wait in line to get a seat. So, I contacted my pal, Natalie, in the hopes that she would be staying home that weekend with her little kiddos. And she agreed to take Riley for us! So, we were set! I quickly scooped up some tickets for Caleb, Brendan, Jacob and I to go on opening day, December 18th. Then we waited.

We had some longer, more detailed trailers to keep us company while we waited, so it wasn't TOO bad.

Finally, the week of the big day arrived, and excitement was running high.

Then, I got the text from Natalie.

Her kids were sick. They'd been feverish and had coughs. It didn't sound good. Dang it!!! And here I was thinking we had a clear path to our big night. Darn you, Murphy's Law!

Indeed, I tried friend after friend and teenager after teenager in hopes of finding a backup sitter. This is what MY end of the phone sounded like over and over again...

"Unfortunately, I can't go a different night...I have tickets!!!"

"What? You're going to see Star Wars that same night, too?!"

I was losing hope. Then I tried one last friend, Jorgelina, and she said yes!!! Her husband, who is a Sylvania policeman was working and she would be home with her little boy, Ethan. Ethan would LOVE to have Riley over to play. Perfect! The Force was with us! Ha!

So, that Friday night, we dropped Riley off to play with Ethan and want down to Fallen Timber theater ready to take our place in line to see history made. The first Star Wars film in a decade. The first Star Wars film WITHOUT George Lucas at the healm. Our hopes were that Disney wouldn't muck it up and do anything funky with the characters we loved so well. Luckily, it didn't disappoint.

As soon as the fanfare started and "Star Wars" was flashed on the big screen, we were instantly transported to that galaxy far, far away and loved every minute of it. Seeing TIE fighters and X-Wings dogfighting right up close (thank you CGI), giggling at the one liners, loving the new characters and cheering when we saw the old ones. It was a fun night!




(P.S. I am RUBBISH at taking selfies, which is why I don't usually!)

Can't wait for Episode VIII!

Only two more years.

Comments