The Trouble With Cars

The trouble with cars is that we are so darn dependent on them, and if they fail us, we are in deep doo-doo. That has been the dilemma at the forefront of our minds during this latter half of September. We managed to defy all odds and have BOTH cars break down within a week of each other. We went from two cars, to one car, to a co-worker's car, to a rental car, back to one car and then to two cars. What a month!

The fun all began when I was driving the van and noticed the oil check light go on. "Huh, must need oil," I thought. At about the same time, I was in a merging lane with a semi beside me and decided to accelerate to get in front of the truck. However, when I put my foot on the gas, instead of accelerating, the van made a horrible, rattly, something HAS to have broken just now type sound. Great. For the rest of the day, I listened to the van and it sounded awful. Mind you, just a few days before, we had gotten it back from the dealership after having to have its fuel pump replaced, which was no cheap fix. Sooooo, I called my buddy Craig (cuz we are practically on a first name basis now) and told him about the problem and that we needed to bring the van back as soon as possible. Two days later, I was listening to him tell me that the engine had some sort of internal issue and would need to be COMPLETELY replaced. Perfect.

So, we were down to one car - our 2002 Hyundai Accent, which we have babied for some time. She had literally been all over the world and had upwards of 128,000 miles on her. She was strictly our to-work-and-home car, but since we were sharing now she had to do double duty picking up boys from practice and so on. We were chugging right along until one morning when I had to pick Jacob up from the hospital.

I had Brendan and Riley in the car. Brendan was all set for school, as my plan was to drop him off after picking up Jacob. He and Riley were chilling in the back seat, and we got onto the freeway to head towards downtown Toledo. We were just getting going when suddenly there is an ominous clunk and then the car started to decelerate. The gas wasn't responding and neither was the clutch. So, I coasted us over to the shoulder (thankfully it wasn't in one of the MANY construction zones), and I sat there for a moment absolutely stunned. No freakin' way! Now THIS car dies, too?!?! You have GOT to be kidding me!

I call Jacob, who has the exact same reaction as I do. And now we have zero cars. He has to borrow a co-worker's car to come rescue the boys and take Brendan to school while I call our insurance company, access our roadside assistance, bawl my eyes out and wallow in self pity while waiting for a tow truck. Jacob returns for me and we follow car #2 to its dealership about 20 minutes south in Perrysburg.

It doesn't take long for the mechanics to call and let us know that, yes, car #2 has also had engine issues. The timing belt broke and something in the engine was messed up as a result. The repairs would basically cost us more than the value of the car. When it rains, it pours.

We then spent the day trying to figure out what in the world we would do. Buy a new car, buy a used car, fix the old car, but the expenses on the first car are going to cost us a fortune. We don't want more debt, but we don't have much choice. We HAVE to have two cars. With Jacob's crazy schedule, I can't function with only one. Dang it.

Speaking of only one car, we were going to be back to zero again because we had to give the co-worker back her car. I had no idea how Jacob was going to get home from work the next morning or how I would get Caleb to and from his cross country events. But, then I got a call from the dealership working on our van. The repairs were taking longer than expected, so they were going to comp us a free rental! Tender mercies, people. So, we went from borrowing a car, to renting a car, but at least we had transportation.

After a lot of praying, discussion, looking at finances, studying our options online and keeping a brave face for the kids, we decided that we needed to buy a new car...but a VERY affordable, reliable one. We were very happy with our old Hyundai, and we knew that Hyundais have some of the best warranties on the market. We could use one of those right now, so that we don't have to worry about any more major fixes for at least the next two years.

We went back down to the Hyundai dealership and looked at cars. We test drove and walked around, but we really had already decided that the little Accent was what we would go with. Nothing fancy - even though a "base model" according to today's standards is so ridiculously beyond anything we could have dreamed up. Our 2002 was literally manual EVERYTHING. Manual transmission, manual door locks, manual windows. Old school all the way. So, automatic everything, Bluetooth technology and satellite radio with 200 stations is just overwhelming to us. We are simple folk.

We thought about things over the weekend and then went back, equipped with some bank loan APR offers to wheel and deal with. We didn't get diddly for our "trade in", but managed a great APR on the car loan and figured out that if Jacob moonlights at the hospital each month, we could swing the car payment. We were also so blessed that my parents surprised us by sending some money to help with the down payment. Hallelujah.

So, then we were up to one car and a rental before I finally took it back and picked up the repaired van. Two cars again felt good. Expensive, but good.



Through all the trauma and drama, I was so grateful 1) for Jacob and his calm faith when I was crying and wigging out, 2) for the tender mercies of the Lord who continued to bless us through our trial - we didn't go without food, everyone was safe and healthy, our kids managed to still get to all their functions with the help of friends, and Jacob was always able to get to work, 3) for family who continues to watch out for us even with thousands of miles between us. Nobody ever wants to have to deal with major problems, but I feel strengthened coming away from this trial that things do work themselves out. The Lord is mindful of us.

Comments

Louise said…
He is mineful and even though when it rains it pours there is always a rainbow at the end.