The Athletes
When I got the Timberstone Junior High newsletter at the beginning of August, I perked up when I noticed that some of the team sports were already having try-outs. Now that Caleb would be in seventh grade, he would be able to participate in those if he wanted. Then, I noticed that his A+ teacher from last year, Ms. Ng would be one of the cross-country team coaches. He really enjoyed Ms. Ng and from the communications I had with her via email she seemed to really like Caleb. So, despite the fact that I didn't know about CC try-outs until the week AFTER the fact, I contacted her and she said that he could totally participate if he wanted to. I ran the idea by Caleb and he surprised me by saying that he would do it!
Now, other than running around the field a couple of times during P.E. and running the 1 mile Stake Fun Run a couple years back, Caleb had never don't long distance running. I had no idea how it would go for him as we went out to Stranaham Elementary for his first CC practice. He looked ready to run, he had his water bottle. But I wondered if he would totally die and come back hating life and ready to quit.
When I returned to pick him up, he was definitely red faced and looked tired, but when I asked him about how it went, he seemed positive. There were boys on the team that he knew (bonus!) and the other coach, Ms. Heil, was his P.E. teacher last year and he really liked her. So far so good. So even after a couple weeks of morning practices Monday through Friday before school had even started, he was still going for it. I was so proud of him to try something new and stick with it!
Once school started, he continued his practices, but after school. Then came his first big CC meet down in a little farming town near Tiffin, Ohio - about 45 minutes sound east of us. It was a HUGE meet with something like 32 competing schools! He looked official in his blue running jersey and runner's bib. There were some serious competitors out there, including some hard core eighth grade runners, but Caleb stuck with it, ran the entire thing and came in ahead of some of his teammates, in about the middle of the pack. I was so excited for him. He came in with about a 15 minute time, so that came to about a 7.5 minute mile! Woohoo! Not bad for a rookie!
He has continued enjoying being a part of the team, having yearbook pictures taken together, and getting outfitted with Timberstone CC gear. It is a lot of fun being a part of something.
In addition to Caleb's athletic pursuits, Brendan has just started his second year of playing city league soccer. Right off the bat, they started with a tough double-header, but I can already see how far he's come since last year playing for the first time. He is faster and more sure of himself. He also seems to be well liked among the other players, many of whom are kids from Central Trail. They even have the same coach/dad from last year leading then, Guy Livingston, whom Brendan enjoys working with. I think he will have another great season.
It's hard to believe that I am now fulling immersed in the whole "soccer/sports mom" thing. But, I am mostly just glad the boys are finding hobbies they enjoy that allow them to make good friends, stretch themselves a little, and keep moving and healthy.
Now, other than running around the field a couple of times during P.E. and running the 1 mile Stake Fun Run a couple years back, Caleb had never don't long distance running. I had no idea how it would go for him as we went out to Stranaham Elementary for his first CC practice. He looked ready to run, he had his water bottle. But I wondered if he would totally die and come back hating life and ready to quit.
When I returned to pick him up, he was definitely red faced and looked tired, but when I asked him about how it went, he seemed positive. There were boys on the team that he knew (bonus!) and the other coach, Ms. Heil, was his P.E. teacher last year and he really liked her. So far so good. So even after a couple weeks of morning practices Monday through Friday before school had even started, he was still going for it. I was so proud of him to try something new and stick with it!
Once school started, he continued his practices, but after school. Then came his first big CC meet down in a little farming town near Tiffin, Ohio - about 45 minutes sound east of us. It was a HUGE meet with something like 32 competing schools! He looked official in his blue running jersey and runner's bib. There were some serious competitors out there, including some hard core eighth grade runners, but Caleb stuck with it, ran the entire thing and came in ahead of some of his teammates, in about the middle of the pack. I was so excited for him. He came in with about a 15 minute time, so that came to about a 7.5 minute mile! Woohoo! Not bad for a rookie!
He has continued enjoying being a part of the team, having yearbook pictures taken together, and getting outfitted with Timberstone CC gear. It is a lot of fun being a part of something.
In addition to Caleb's athletic pursuits, Brendan has just started his second year of playing city league soccer. Right off the bat, they started with a tough double-header, but I can already see how far he's come since last year playing for the first time. He is faster and more sure of himself. He also seems to be well liked among the other players, many of whom are kids from Central Trail. They even have the same coach/dad from last year leading then, Guy Livingston, whom Brendan enjoys working with. I think he will have another great season.
It's hard to believe that I am now fulling immersed in the whole "soccer/sports mom" thing. But, I am mostly just glad the boys are finding hobbies they enjoy that allow them to make good friends, stretch themselves a little, and keep moving and healthy.

Comments