Patient Riley Turns 4
What's even harder than being the youngest in our house? It is that Riley also has to wait until every other person in the house has had their birthday before it is finally his turn.
He was excited for Brendan. He was patient through Caleb's. By the time Jacob's came along, though, he kept asking "what number" it was so that we could be that much closer to celebrating HIS birthday. He had waited enough.
Our birthday tradition is to decorate the birthday person's chair, so Jacob and I got everything decorated the night before. I also crepe papered his doorway and blew a bunch of balloons for him to run through when he woke up.
You can probably tell by the faces on the yellow balloons that he wanted a Lego birthday, and Riley was just beaming. He kept asking me, "Today is my birthday, right, Mom?" over and over, just to be sure that he wasn't dreaming or something.
I tried to make him a Lego pancake breakfast, but since it was not his "usual" (he is a HUGE creature of habit) he was not impressed. He didn't want to eat it until I took off all the round mini pancakes and just cut it up and it looked like a regular pancake. Oh, well. He was the birthday boy.
Next, it was measuring time! He stood up against our green measuring chart, and we marked his height. He came out at a staggering 39 inches! What made that even more momentous was the fact that it was the exact same height that Brendan was when he turned five! That's my 93rd percentile child!
Happy birthday, Riley Bear!
And as an added treat, here are some recent funny sayings of his.
1) When I had washed his blankie and gave it back to him nice and warm out of the drier, he was so excited and said, "Blaaaaaankie!!! Nice and clean and ready to eat!" And then he proceeded to shove a fist full of blanket into his mouth. (he likes to chew on it - ew, right?)
2) We were having a conversation at dinner and when something didn't not sound familiar to me, I said, "Doesn't ring a bell." Riley's immediate response was, "Does it bang a door?" Silly, smart boy!
3) Whenever Riley needs me to go in and help wipe him after using the bathroom, he often cries, "Heeeeelp! Heeeeelp!" like he is in peril. It's pretty hilarious. And then when I get there, he will follow that up with, "Now, don't smell, Mom. Don't smell." He says that because sometimes, I would go in there and it would be pretty stinky, so I would jokingly make a fuss about it.
4) Riley LOVES his "treats" and will often try to get out of eating the rest of his meal to get to his treats early by saying that he might get a stomach ache. You know, from eating all those green beans. But, eating cookies will be ok. This kid makes my laugh!
He was excited for Brendan. He was patient through Caleb's. By the time Jacob's came along, though, he kept asking "what number" it was so that we could be that much closer to celebrating HIS birthday. He had waited enough.
Our birthday tradition is to decorate the birthday person's chair, so Jacob and I got everything decorated the night before. I also crepe papered his doorway and blew a bunch of balloons for him to run through when he woke up.
You can probably tell by the faces on the yellow balloons that he wanted a Lego birthday, and Riley was just beaming. He kept asking me, "Today is my birthday, right, Mom?" over and over, just to be sure that he wasn't dreaming or something.
I tried to make him a Lego pancake breakfast, but since it was not his "usual" (he is a HUGE creature of habit) he was not impressed. He didn't want to eat it until I took off all the round mini pancakes and just cut it up and it looked like a regular pancake. Oh, well. He was the birthday boy.
Next, it was measuring time! He stood up against our green measuring chart, and we marked his height. He came out at a staggering 39 inches! What made that even more momentous was the fact that it was the exact same height that Brendan was when he turned five! That's my 93rd percentile child!
For some birthday fun, we all went out to see the second Disney/Pixar Planes movie - "Planes: Fire and Rescue". Riley was happy as pie with his own refillable tray of popcorn and a box of Hot Tamales. Really, he is obsessed with popcorn. He asks almost every night if we can have a movie and popcorn. So we knew that he would be a happy camper as long as the popcorn kept coming. I think he liked the movie alright, too, though. :)
As soon as we got back home, he wanted to open his presents. I don't have any pictures of that part because I was shooting video, but he was so pleased to finally be the one opening the gifts and ripping the wrapping paper. He got his very own scooter from Nana and Papa Logsdon and was just thrilled. He also got both finger and regular paints with paper, as well as a new pop-up bug book from Grandma and Grandpa Jerdon. We got him his own art easel to use all this art supplies on, as well as some games for his little learning tablet.
When it was finally cake and singing time, Riley was ready. He had specifically asked for a "blue Lego cake", so that is what he got. You could tell by his grin that he was so happy.
He wanted to try out his art supplies right away, what a cutie!
Happy birthday, Riley Bear!
And as an added treat, here are some recent funny sayings of his.
1) When I had washed his blankie and gave it back to him nice and warm out of the drier, he was so excited and said, "Blaaaaaankie!!! Nice and clean and ready to eat!" And then he proceeded to shove a fist full of blanket into his mouth. (he likes to chew on it - ew, right?)
2) We were having a conversation at dinner and when something didn't not sound familiar to me, I said, "Doesn't ring a bell." Riley's immediate response was, "Does it bang a door?" Silly, smart boy!
3) Whenever Riley needs me to go in and help wipe him after using the bathroom, he often cries, "Heeeeelp! Heeeeelp!" like he is in peril. It's pretty hilarious. And then when I get there, he will follow that up with, "Now, don't smell, Mom. Don't smell." He says that because sometimes, I would go in there and it would be pretty stinky, so I would jokingly make a fuss about it.
4) Riley LOVES his "treats" and will often try to get out of eating the rest of his meal to get to his treats early by saying that he might get a stomach ache. You know, from eating all those green beans. But, eating cookies will be ok. This kid makes my laugh!

Comments