Dirt Don't Hurt...Unless You Never Wash

I am not sure if these are normal behaviors for boys, most especially for pre-teenage boys, but I have found myself locked in an endless battle on behalf of daily personal hygiene. The basics such as brushing one's teeth, showering, combing one's hair and picking up one's dirty clothing are apparently most difficult and, in many cases, abhorrent to my older two children. Then to add such things as making one's bed or picking up one's room to the mix, I find myself surrounded by moaning and sometimes wailing children. It truly is incredible. What makes me REALLY pull my hair out is when I have to remind and remind and remind EVERY SINGLE DAY to do these most basic of things. "Please, pick up your dirty underwear that is on the bathroom floor!" "Please, return the wet towels to the bathroom!" "Please, put the used tissues in the trash!" "Did you brush your teeth?"

I firmly believe that my children would prefer to live in squalor and allow the teeth to rot from their heads if I did not maintain the strictest of vigilance. At this point, I fear for their future bachelor pads. And I had thought that I had taught them better than this since they were toddlers. Did I not explain the importance of taking care of our bodies and our things?

So, in my desperation, I finally devised a new way of getting their cooperation. No questions asked. No reminders given. I created "tickets to privileges". Super straightforward.

Set up like one of those fliers you might see on a phone pole advertising for a lost puppy or a job, you rip off the little tabs on the bottom if you are ready for privileges. I created specific lists of "must do's" for the boys to do in order to be eligible for things like screen time, talking on the phone or Skype, playing with friends, etc.. I posted their individual lists in their rooms with a tab for each day of the week, so it's right there in black and white EXACTLY what they need to do. No more reminding from Mom.

We tried it for the last week and a half, and it's been awesome. Mind you, even after they give me their ticket, I still go and inspect to see how they did and make sure they got everything on the list. But I must say that they have done A LOT better. And I have been so happy NOT to have to remind and nag constantly. I don't say a word. I just put "tickets to privilege" on our daily schedule and they know what to do.

Here is Caleb's. Like I said - it's specific. But, I need to be.


I just take some scissors and add some cuts where the little lines are and then tape it to their wall by the bedroom door and that's it. So far, so good. Maybe a few months of this will get them trained into decent human beings. ;)

Comments

Unknown said…
I love it! Another one I am stealing for future use! So a few months later - is it still working??
Stephanie said…
It is! Over time, they stopped giving me the actual tickets, but when they come asking to play video games or watch TV or whatever, I just have to ask if their "must do's" are done. If they aren't sure, they still check the list on their bedroom wall. No more nagging. :) But I also still inspect. ;)
Unknown said…
Awesome! I love it!