Obsessed

The obsession beyond obsessions. The only thing they think about. The highlight of every day. The motivation for good behavior and doing chores. The catalyst for arguments. The daily debate. The inspiration for pretend play, artwork, and Lego building. The bane of my existence. The question on every child's lips.

Any one of my children, at any time of any day: "Mom, can I play video games?"

Me: "Ugh."

As much as I have tried to put it off, to minimize the exposure, to encourage outside activities and interests, it has been a losing battle. I think that every parent recognizes that these things CAN be handy distractions, but then there is the next level where we can't seem to be able to function without them.



I can't tell you how many times I have been tempted to delete all computer games and toss all electronic devices. If it's not the PC, it's the Wii or the DS systems, the cell phones or the tablets. I am literally surrounded. And it seems that it really has become ingrained in young culture.

Whenever Caleb Skypes or calls his friends, it's all they talk about. They are playing while they talk to each other! Their usual interactions include Skyping while playing online together. Whenever friends come over, they just want to sit in front of a screen and play video games. Gone are the days of running around outside or making up games together. If they can't play the video games, then they want to be watching someoneELSE play them on YouTube! I am totally serious. They came across some "YouTubers" who make videos of themselves playing Minecraft and how they do this or build that. It really is ridiculous.

It doesn't seem like any amount of sports, books or other hobbies even comes close to the interest and obsession that has taken over the brains of my boys. It can be almost frightening at times. And although I keep strict rules and restrict the amount of time spent on them, they continue to be the daily topic of discussion and the center of their universe. I pray that they will find some other more constructive things to be interested in before they turn into 30-somethings living in someone's basement wearing a headset and playing video games with buddies. On the bright side, at least I know where they are and they aren't out getting into trouble or doing drugs. It could always be worse, right?

Comments

seegfam said…
okay, thank you! That is exactly how I have been feeling about this subject lately! ugh. It's so frustrating! :)
*Lauren* said…
I think that's why my mom never bought me a Nintendo. I had to go over your house or another friend's house to play video games :) I think it's a fun thing to do when you're small. Yes, I'm glad my husband isn't a gamer :) I know too many 'men' that spend more hours playing than with their children. You're boys are just getting their 'fill' early in life :)