Cold Weather Needs Hot Soup

Subzero temperatures just make me want to cuddle up with a blanket and a cup of hot cocoa. And for dinner...sip some hot soup. So, I went in search of a good crock pot recipe for homemade chicken noodle soup. A classic.

I did some internet scouring and saw some interesting variations on a theme, as it were. I got some interesting ideas, like putting a roux in to make it a smidgen bit creamier and thicken the broth a bit. Then, I took all those ideas and came up with a recipe that worked for me, for my particular degree of laziness and the ingredients that I had on hand or that my family was willing to actually eat. This is my baby. And it has been a hit several times over. I love it because it is very flavorful and is relatively easy to make for a homemade soup. Brendan has dubbed it his favorite. Riley loves it for the noodles. Caleb has given it a thumbs up, and Jacob even goes back for seconds. Enjoy!

Stephanie's Crock-Pot Chicken Noodle Soup


8 cups chicken broth
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I toss them in frozen)
1 cup carrots, diced
celery seed, to taste
1/4 onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
dash of Tabasco sauce (a secret ingredient)
1/2 tsp. chili powder (another secret ingredient)

For the roux:
1 T. butter
3 T. flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

For the end:
1/2 lb. wide egg noodles (or more if you love noodles like Riley does)

Toss all the ingredients from the broth to the chili powder into a 4-6 quart crock pot. Cover and cook on low 5 hours. Use tongs to take out the chicken (and the bay leaf). Allow chicken to cool a bit on a cutting before handling and then chop into cubes. Let it rest while you make the roux. Put the butter into a small saucepan to melt over low heat. Stir in the flour, then add the milk and 1/2 cup of broth from the crock pot, along with the salt and pepper. Turn heat up to high and whisk until thick and bubbly. Whisk roux into the soup in the crock pot. Then add back in the chicken. Add the noodles. Cook 20-30 minutes more or until noodles are ready. Serve with rolls. Yummy!

Comments

Louise said…
Just pulled this up and boy does it sound good..I'm going to try it!