These Last Weeks
There has been a whole lotta packin' goin' on, so there hasn't been much time for blogging, but the Jerdon journey has been continuing on. Brendan and Caleb had their last Cub Scout den meetings with their buddies last week, and they have been furiously trying to see their school friends before the move. I've been doing the same. Jake has played some church ball wherever possible. We've also tried to squeeze in some more visits with family.
For Memorial Day, we were invited to the Leavitts' for swimming and dinner. The Burbank and Nelson families were also there. It was good to spend time with their families. We will miss them so much!
In related news, we close on our house tomorrow morning (ahhhhhhh!). After 13 years of marriage, we are finally buying our first home! It's all very surreal and a bit stressful. I feel like every time we turn around there is another thing to do or sign or whatever. I will be happy when it's all official. The notary is coming to our house to sign the last documents, so that we can close from here.
We've been trying to talk to Riley about how we get to go to a new big house with stairs. He's really into stairs. We've also been trying to explain that his missing books and toys will be coming with us and that they need to be in boxes right now. It's all very confusing for the poor guy.
The other boys have been trying to keep a good attitude. They are nervous about having to make new friends and are sad to be leaving behind their current ones. Having moved with my family at about Caleb's age, I remember how hard it was. Thankfully, he has technology where I did not. I had to write and mail letters to keep in contact with my old friends, and people are not the best at physical correspondence. I actually set up a second gmail account just for the boys to use so that they can email family and friends (whose parents will let them use their email accounts). That along with video chatting, I think that they will be alright. It's always scary to go to a brand new place where you don't know a blessed soul.
I take comfort in knowing that we will go to church that first Sunday and start meeting people right away. As a matter of fact, I have already made contact with a couple of church members out there, so at least we have SOME contacts. This will be a whole new world for all of us. It's so crazy how you can feel excited and nervous and scared and sad and happy all at the same time. Stupid human emotions. Sometimes I wish I were Spock.
Oh, and as another side note. Jake surprised me this last Friday night by arranging for his cousin, Kim, to watch Riley overnight (Caleb and Brendan were in California with my family) so that we could get away from all the packing and stress. He booked us an amazing room at the Aliante Hotel way across the valley. That night we also went to see the new Star Trek movie. It was awesome! I guess it's the closest I'll ever get to being Mr. Spock. ;)
Carter, Drew, Connor, Kyle, Josh and Brendan after their bike riding den meeting at the park.
Me, Amy, Lisa and Becca at the new Cafe Zupas. Yummy soup and sandwiches!!!
Me and Tonya - Man, I'm going to miss this girl!
In related news, we close on our house tomorrow morning (ahhhhhhh!). After 13 years of marriage, we are finally buying our first home! It's all very surreal and a bit stressful. I feel like every time we turn around there is another thing to do or sign or whatever. I will be happy when it's all official. The notary is coming to our house to sign the last documents, so that we can close from here.
We've been trying to talk to Riley about how we get to go to a new big house with stairs. He's really into stairs. We've also been trying to explain that his missing books and toys will be coming with us and that they need to be in boxes right now. It's all very confusing for the poor guy.
The other boys have been trying to keep a good attitude. They are nervous about having to make new friends and are sad to be leaving behind their current ones. Having moved with my family at about Caleb's age, I remember how hard it was. Thankfully, he has technology where I did not. I had to write and mail letters to keep in contact with my old friends, and people are not the best at physical correspondence. I actually set up a second gmail account just for the boys to use so that they can email family and friends (whose parents will let them use their email accounts). That along with video chatting, I think that they will be alright. It's always scary to go to a brand new place where you don't know a blessed soul.
I take comfort in knowing that we will go to church that first Sunday and start meeting people right away. As a matter of fact, I have already made contact with a couple of church members out there, so at least we have SOME contacts. This will be a whole new world for all of us. It's so crazy how you can feel excited and nervous and scared and sad and happy all at the same time. Stupid human emotions. Sometimes I wish I were Spock.
Oh, and as another side note. Jake surprised me this last Friday night by arranging for his cousin, Kim, to watch Riley overnight (Caleb and Brendan were in California with my family) so that we could get away from all the packing and stress. He booked us an amazing room at the Aliante Hotel way across the valley. That night we also went to see the new Star Trek movie. It was awesome! I guess it's the closest I'll ever get to being Mr. Spock. ;)


Comments