"Since You've Been Gone"

I have had blogging on my mind for weeks, but haven't made it any further than that. My only real excuse is that I was a single parent for the month of September. I think that should count for something. Jacob was in Ohio on an away rotation, leaving literally the day before the boys started school in August until nearly the end of September. So, that left me on my own to get the family back into the school routine post-summer. Add a triple baptism to plan for some of our ward Primary children, Labor Day with my parents, a new tumbling class for Caleb and Brendan, the Primary Program, Pack Meeting and the terrible twos to the mix and you have a recipe for hair pulling. Let's just say that everyone did manage to come out of it alive, though. No one was thrown in the river and I managed to maintain at least a shred of my sanity. These are the times when I am actually grateful for my preparations as a military spouse. The Lord knows what he is doing.

The first day of school went very well. The boys biked to school while Riley rode in the jogging stroller.




The boys both got the teachers that they had hoped for and had good buddies in their classes, too, so they were more than excited.

 Brendan with Ms. Morrill
 
 Caleb with pal, Corey
 
Caleb with Ms. Ross, who is an identical twin. Her twin, Ms. Gallagher, teaches Caleb's math and science class!

There weren't any tears from anyone for the first time ever. Even from me. I think we were all just ready. The summer had been fun, but with the extreme heat and the extended time in our little house together, we were getting cabin fever and needed some distance from one another. Despite my efforts to get everyone out of the house to the library or other activities, the boys were in sore need of real physical exertion... outside. Finally they would be getting p.e. and letting off some of that steam.

Luckily, that very first weekend alone was also Labor Day, and my parents, sibs, aunt, uncle and cousins were all going to a John Williams concert at the Hollywood Bowl. Jacob's parents watched the boys for me and I was able to go down and enjoy some homestyle Italian food at a fun restaurant on the Universal Walk, then some great movie music at the famous Hollywood Bowl. It was awesome! Did you realize that John Williams composed the music for movie greats like Schindler's List, Superman, Indiana Jones, E.T., Jaws, Harry Potter, War Horse, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Minority Report and Amistad, in addition to Star Wars?! And that's the short list. He also composed the Olympic theme and fanfare that we'd been listening to all summer. It was a super concert and probably one of the big highlights of the month for me. Honestly, it also felt good to go out without a diaper bag. Simple pleasures. ;)

With my cuz, Chelsey
 
 

 My bro, Ben, his wife, Valerie, and our cousins Kevin and Kyle
 
 With my "baby" bro, Don
 
 John Williams
 
My mom's brother, Tom, Aunt Kathy, my mom and dad
 
Meanwhile, Jacob was at St. Vincent Mercy Hospital in downtown Toledo. He was living in a sort of dorm that they have set up across the street from the hospital for their residents and visiting students such as himself. It was quite the set up. He got to stay in the dorm for free, then walk to work (no need to rent a car for a month) and then eat for free in the cafeteria at the hospital. Can you say SCORE! If one needs to live away from home for a month, best do so free of charge, right? We only had to pay to get him there.



Before he left, we had made a pact to keep up with our daily personal worship and exercise, then check in with each other to be accountable. I have to say that we both did a good job, but he totally won the prize...at least in the physical aspect of it. Thanks to all his salad bar visits at the hospital cafeteria and cutting down on the sweets, he managed to lose 12 POUNDS, the dog! I didn't lose any weight (I wasn't really shooting for that), but I was able to run with Riley in the jogging stroller without dying, so I was feeling pretty good about that. I am training once again for the Ragnar Relay in November, so I couldn't take a month off.

Among Jacob's adventures in Toledo, one was his visit to a local supermarket. He was desprite for some convenience foods, essential man items like frozen burritos and pizzas, so he walked the few blocks to the nearest grocery store. He walked in the doors and immediately realized that he was a lone white boy in a chocolate world. He hadn't realized just how "inner city" he was. Up and down the aisles he went looking for his goods, thinking that surely he wasn't the only vanilla person in the store. He was. I'm sure those folks must have gotten a kick out of seeing this boy all by himself, thinking that he must have wondered away from home and gotten lost. ;)

One interesting opportunity Jacob had was the chance to go on a ride along with the Fire Paramedic team in the ambulance. He called and told me all about how they got to run the siren and go through crowded traffic, the paramedics cursing like sailors at all the stupid drivers. Living every little boy's dream. I asked him if he got a sticker and his own plastic fireman's hat he he. After their run, he got to go back with them to the fire station while they played on their PlayStation, watched their flat screen and worked out on their state of the art gym equipment. Nice.

Another out of the ordinary medically related experience Jacob had was actually up in Michigan for something called MedWars, short for "Medical Wilderness Adventure Race". We had never heard of it before, but apparently there are races all over the US. This one was in the wilderness surrounding Ann Arbor, Michigan. A bunch of the residents from Jacob's hospital were volunteering and wanted an extra guy, so he hitched along for the ride. Apparently, it is a combination of wilderness medicine and adventure racing, designed to test survival and medical skills. Jacob said that it's not just for medical professionals either. Anyone with first aid training or just an interest can participate. You can cheat and bring a little survival medical reference book.

Here is what the website says about last years race:

"In the 2011 Race, teams ran, paddled, and navigated for six to eight hours. In the course, they traveled to simulated challenges while trying to escape simulated bad weather. They saved a baby from the water which they cared for the rest of the race, gave a teammember a surgical airway, rescued Den Leader Dan from falling trees, and managed a mass casualty from a lightning strike among many other challenges. They also collected time bonuses along the way which added an element of strategy to the race."
Sounds intriguing, right? This year's race had something to do with an alien invasion apparently. I did a double take on that one, too. But think of paddling a canoe down a river with your team, jumping out, saving some injured "abductee" and then racing on. Silly, but fun. Jacob was helping out at one of the medical stops to test the racers in a medical emergency and make sure they were doing things right. I think it will be something that we end up trying out for ourselves one of these days.




When it was all said and done, Jacob was definitely ready to come home, though. In between shifts at the hospital and the occasional volunteering opportunity, he was all by his lonesome in his box of a dormroom trying despritely to keep himself from going stir-crazy. (If only I could have shipped him some of our chaos!) He also wasn't sleeping well at night thanks to the helipad just outside his window.

The view outside his window
 
I can also say that I was ready for him to come home. The first couple nights of him away were no biggy, but eventually it just became plain lonely. A girl can only watch Pride and Prejudice so many times before she needs someone to talk to. I also was desprite for a wingman with the kids. You never really appreciate the blessing of having someone get your back like that until you are a single parent for a prolonged amount of time. Kudos to all single parents. I don't know how they do it.

My sweet mother-in-law, Louise, did come out the week of the Primary Program to help me with the boys and keep me company. She was a life saver that practice weekend. I don't know what I would have done with Riley on my ankles. It was also great having another adult to talk to. The boys, of course, loved having her here. Riley spoke of nothing but "Gamma". She was a real trooper. I just love her. I'm so grateful to have a mother-in-law like her.


So, now we are reunited again and getting back into the routine of things together, just in time to get geared up for our family's favorite fun holiday...HALLOWEEN! I am continually grateful to my Heavenly Father for his protective hand over our family and His abundant blessings. We made it through yet another separation and all it's difficulties. Until the next time...  

Comments

Kristin said…
I've wondered where you were! I've missed you! Your kids are so cute...such a cute combo of you two...and you do such fun things with them! It was fun to catch back up on your life..and I'm grateful everyone survived September;)