The Three Amigos
This year for Jake's 35th birthday, I wanted to do something out of the ordinary. Something special, yet not too over the top. Something that would get him smiling and really enjoying himself. It's felt like he's just stressed out with school for too long and not taken enough time for himself. What to do, what to do? Then it hit me. He needed a man-cation. You know, a chance to get out with the boys, some of his best buds, and just have some fun. A man-richment, a boys night, a man-date, whatever you want to call it. I was going to set him up on one.
So, I snuck onto his phone and got the number of one of his oldest and best friends, Dan. I phoned him and asked if it would be at all humanly possible for him and his brother Mike, who is also one of Jake's best of friends, to drive out from Apple Valley to hang out with him for his birthday. I knew it was a long shot, and we were only a couple of weeks away from the big day, but I threw it out there. Luckily, the stars aligned and both guys were able and super excited to make the three hour each way drive to surprise Jake. YAY! Those are true friends, folks!
Jake would be working the night shift the day before and would be sleeping until about noon the day of his birthday, at which time they could accost and kidnap him to go to some manly place for lunch (I suggested In 'n Out) and then do whatever. I told them how Jake was really looking forward to seeing the new Batman movie, so that was a possible activity. They were totally on board, and it was all I could do not to burst out and tell Jake. I seriously could not remember the last time that he had just gone out anywhere with his buddies, or even hung out with them without kids and the whole gang in tow. I know that I need my girly time, so he was clearly in testosterone deprivation. It would be so good for him.
As the day drew closer, he became suspicious that I hadn't said anything about his birthday preparations. I found this hilarious since everytime I even mention his birthday, he goes into an Ebenezer Scrooge fit, "I don't celebrate my birthday. You don't need to do anything. I don't want anything. Grrr." Ok, I added the growl, but it's basically like that every year. It has never deterred me from still doing something, but still. I thought it funny that he would mention it. So, I used said past grumbling as an excuse and asked if he'd want to just go get some lunch and see the Batman movie. He was into that idea, thinking that we would make it a date for ourselves, so I was able to fly with that one. I said that his cousin would watch the kids (a little white lie) and we were all set.
The day of his birthday, he was slept until only about 10:30am, which was WAAAYYY earlier than I'd anticipated him waking up. I told him to go back to sleep, but that didn't work. He did, however, stay in bed and watch the Olympics for awhile, which bought time for Dan and Mike to finish driving up. Then in fear that they would arrive and Jake would still be grungy and unshowered, I finally told him that we were going to have "the babysitter" coming at 12:45ish and that he needed to be ready by then. Thankfully, he was showered and brushing his teeth when there was a knock at the door.
I tried to get him to answer the door, but he didn't see why he should since he was brushing his teeth. I conceded that one and had to answer the door. The guys were ready with their camera, but it was just me. So, then I snuck them into the bedroom where they caught Jake still finishing his teeth. They snapped a picture of him in his glory and he just busted up laughing. It was obvious that he was thrilled to see them, and so surprised that they weren't the babysitter. ;)
They had a great time, like a bunch of high school boys again. Dan and Mike treated him to lunch at Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steak Burgers, then they went off to see the movie, which they all raved about afterward. It was a success!
Afterward, they came back to the house for dinner with the family, gifts for Jake to open from me and the boys and an ice cream bar.
It was so awesome to hear Jake laughing and being his old self. It was clear to see that it was like old times with those guys. There's nothing like old friends. They know you so well. I think he had a memorable birthday.

Comments