"Riley Turn?"
With school about to start, it was time once again for the boys to receive their father's blessings in preparation. Every year, we've wanted to give whoever was starting school, a special blessing for confidence and protection as they go out into the world again, to learn new things and face new challenges.
Caleb and Brendan were getting excited, anticipating their blessings, and once we were all ready, Brendan took out a chair and hopped up to go first.
Riley did a pretty good job of sitting still through the first prayer, but by the time Caleb was up so was his patience. He started going for his toys, the ones that make noises of course, and I had to steer him out of the room so that he could play in his room while we listened to the blessing.
After Caleb's blessing had ended, Riley came back out to the living room and hurried over to me. His big blue eyes looked right into mine and he said sweetly, "Riley? Riley turn?" Honestly, it hadn't dawned on me to have Riley get a blessing. I didn't think he was even paying any attention to the activity at hand. He wasn't starting school and was still so little. I guess I figured that he didn't really need a blessing. He's completely innocent, without sin, without responsibility. But then, his sweet request hit me like a ton of bricks. Why NOT Riley?
Jacob and I shared a look and then Riley climbed up onto the chair, folded his chubby little arms and closed his eyes. Jacob put his hands on our baby boy's head and gave him his father's blessing. He blessed him that he would be a good boy and help his mother while he brothers were at school. That he would be able to learn and grow as he listens to his mother. That he would continue to enjoy nursery, and that as he listened to his teachers his little testimony would start to grow.
By the end of the prayer, Jacob's voice started to crack and I knew that he was feeling what I was feeling. I looked up through my tears and saw Jacob, Caleb AND Brendan each getting emotional, too. It was such a tender moment. The Holy Spirit was in that room, and our dear, little two-year-old sat perfectly still through the entire thing. He knew that it was something important. And he wasn't going to miss out.
As I reflected on the experience, it was plain to me that our Heavenly Father treasures each of his children, great and small, and longs to bless each one of them. Each soul is precious to Him. Riley deserved his chance to receive blessings just as much as his older brothers, though his experiences are different from theirs. What a lesson that was to me! How grateful I am for these tender moments when I am humbled and taught by the tiniest member's of God's kingdom. I will never forget to make sure Riley has his turn.
Caleb and Brendan were getting excited, anticipating their blessings, and once we were all ready, Brendan took out a chair and hopped up to go first.
Riley did a pretty good job of sitting still through the first prayer, but by the time Caleb was up so was his patience. He started going for his toys, the ones that make noises of course, and I had to steer him out of the room so that he could play in his room while we listened to the blessing.
After Caleb's blessing had ended, Riley came back out to the living room and hurried over to me. His big blue eyes looked right into mine and he said sweetly, "Riley? Riley turn?" Honestly, it hadn't dawned on me to have Riley get a blessing. I didn't think he was even paying any attention to the activity at hand. He wasn't starting school and was still so little. I guess I figured that he didn't really need a blessing. He's completely innocent, without sin, without responsibility. But then, his sweet request hit me like a ton of bricks. Why NOT Riley?
Jacob and I shared a look and then Riley climbed up onto the chair, folded his chubby little arms and closed his eyes. Jacob put his hands on our baby boy's head and gave him his father's blessing. He blessed him that he would be a good boy and help his mother while he brothers were at school. That he would be able to learn and grow as he listens to his mother. That he would continue to enjoy nursery, and that as he listened to his teachers his little testimony would start to grow.
By the end of the prayer, Jacob's voice started to crack and I knew that he was feeling what I was feeling. I looked up through my tears and saw Jacob, Caleb AND Brendan each getting emotional, too. It was such a tender moment. The Holy Spirit was in that room, and our dear, little two-year-old sat perfectly still through the entire thing. He knew that it was something important. And he wasn't going to miss out.
As I reflected on the experience, it was plain to me that our Heavenly Father treasures each of his children, great and small, and longs to bless each one of them. Each soul is precious to Him. Riley deserved his chance to receive blessings just as much as his older brothers, though his experiences are different from theirs. What a lesson that was to me! How grateful I am for these tender moments when I am humbled and taught by the tiniest member's of God's kingdom. I will never forget to make sure Riley has his turn.

Comments