The Beginning of the End

Since May, our ward has been going through it's annual metamorphosis. Medical student families graduating and moving on to residency or jobs. The next stage. The reason why it has been different for me this time around is not only because it puts us next in line to do the same - Jacob is officially a fourth year medical student now - but because I am beginning to lose friends that I've grown close to. I'm getting that sinking feeling in my stomach knowing that this is only the beginning and before long WE will be the ones moving again and the tears will be flowing, and I will be collecting more Skype and Christmas card friends. :( It makes me sad to think about it.

Moving is never easy. As many times as we've done it, you would think that I'd have mastered the art. But I still have a hard time. I feel guilty for moving the kids - having to change schools and make friends all over. I feel even more guilty for taking the kids away from family. They've had the chance to get closer to my family and Jacob's parents since we've been in Henderson. They see one or both sides of the family almost every month, which is WAY more than they ever have. I feel stressed just thinking about the packing and moving truck and making living arrangements on the other side. I feel depressed thinking about having to hug friends goodbye, maybe for the last time, and hope that I'll fit in somewhere else, that I'll again find "bosom friends" as Anne of Green Gables would say.

Edith, me, Tonya, Chantal, Lisa
Rocio, Claudia, Lorraine, Adrienne
Last Friday, a bunch of us had a going away brunch for one of my sweet friends, Claudia, who is moving away to Dallas where her husband starts his residency. She has been one of those people who just shines in your life as a friend. She would go over the moon for a friend. I wish that I'd known her better SOONER. It wasn't until fall of last year when I decided to round up some gals to start up a book club that we really started hanging out and getting to know each other. She is so funny and bright. She can't help but make people smile. She will be missed.

It has been her leaving that's really kicked me awake to the reality of our impending life changes...again. It is just on the horizon. This next year will go by quickly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Jacob gets the residency he hopes for and that everything falls into place. But mostly, I hope that I will be able to make the most of our time here while I can. I see the growth we've undergone as a family and that I've undergone as a person. I know I have been strengthened. I just hope I'll be ready when the time comes to face the changes.   

Comments

Anonymous said…
I so know how you feel as another move is happening for us in a few months time. I am not ready. I never am :(. And I hate it. But we will survive, once again, won't we :)?
Jenn said…
So sorry for you, but happy too! I understand completely how you're feeling,moving is so hard and it never gets easier. I feel the worst about moving the kids for the same reasons you listed, especially as they get older and it's more difficult to make new friends. Best of luck this year to your family! We will be in AV the 1st wk in Aug. if you happen to be around, we'd love to see you guys! Have a great summer!
Miss Beevers said…
Been there, done that, still doing it, got some of my BEST friends out of it! One of those is YOU, my love! LOVE YA!!! xxx