Wipe Out

Now that we're getting back into the swing of things, I knew it was time to also get back into the saddle of working out and running. I've been a terrible slacker, especially since the heat of the summer kicked in. I just couldn't bring myself to get up and run (even at 5am) in 100 degree heat. Ugh! So, now without excuses and a pretty decent schedule from Jake's rotation, I got out and hit the pavement again.

All seemed to be going well. I was feeling pretty good and was in the home stretch. I just passed a few middle schoolers waiting for their bus, crossed the street and then got up on the side walk to go down and around the corner home. What I didn't notice was the metal grating on the sidewalk...and it's large bolts. It didn't help that the street has a slight decline. Down I went, full on. Hands, knees, elbow. Laid out for the middle schoolers to gawk at. It was pretty awesome. I haven't been that graceful in ages, so I guess I was about due, but, boy, did it hurt. Both physically and pride-wise. All I could bring myself to do was stand up, brush the rubble out of my knees and make like a tree as quickly as possible. I didn't even take the time to really examine my wounds. I just got the heck out of Dodge.

Once I got home, I was able to see the scuffed up palms, elbow and knees I'd given myself. Luckily, I wasn't really cut up, so much as bruised, so there wasn't really any blood. I don't think I've ever had bruises on my knees this big, though. They are beauties, and Jake had me ice them that night.

Tomorrow, I'm off to try it again. Hopefully, I remember to pick my feet up this time and save my pride and knees from another wipe out.

Comments