Selective Memory
Every year it's the same thing. I have delusions of grandeur as I plan each child's special day. They choose the thing that they are into the most at that time, and I grease up the rusty cogs of creativity to try and come up with a fun way to put that into baked form. A Thomas the Tank engine cake, a Darth Maul cake, a Lego cake...
And every year I seem to have forgotten until in the midst of it all that, every single time, I end up torturing myself with the sadly miscalculated amounts of time, kitchen destruction and hand cramping that inevitably ensue as I embark on my "creative", child-pleasing venture. (the things we do for these children!)
So, this year, Brendan wants a Club Penguin birthday and since it is his sixth birthday, we agreed that it was a good year to have his first "friends" party. When the kids are in kindergarten and have their own friends to invite, it seemed like the logical time.
So, here I am again trying to feverishly acquire my Club Penguin education and figure out how in the world I am going to pull together a penguin/igloo/puffle theme. I've decided to try giving puffle cupcakes a try for the friends party and some sort of igloo cake for the family portion of the festivities. (I'm a nutter, I know.) This morning marked the first step in that sure-to-be painful process as I tried my hand at making some white marshmallow fondant (thanks for the recipe, Robyn!) for the puffles' eyes.
If you have no idea what in the world a puffle is, you're not the first one without a clue.
This is a puffle.

A cheeky little guy to be sure. They come in all the colors of the rainbow and are the little virtual pets you can acquire while playing on Club Penguin.
My hope is that I can imitate these little guys with fondant and frosting. Wish me luck!
And every year I seem to have forgotten until in the midst of it all that, every single time, I end up torturing myself with the sadly miscalculated amounts of time, kitchen destruction and hand cramping that inevitably ensue as I embark on my "creative", child-pleasing venture. (the things we do for these children!)
So, this year, Brendan wants a Club Penguin birthday and since it is his sixth birthday, we agreed that it was a good year to have his first "friends" party. When the kids are in kindergarten and have their own friends to invite, it seemed like the logical time.
So, here I am again trying to feverishly acquire my Club Penguin education and figure out how in the world I am going to pull together a penguin/igloo/puffle theme. I've decided to try giving puffle cupcakes a try for the friends party and some sort of igloo cake for the family portion of the festivities. (I'm a nutter, I know.) This morning marked the first step in that sure-to-be painful process as I tried my hand at making some white marshmallow fondant (thanks for the recipe, Robyn!) for the puffles' eyes.
If you have no idea what in the world a puffle is, you're not the first one without a clue.
This is a puffle.

A cheeky little guy to be sure. They come in all the colors of the rainbow and are the little virtual pets you can acquire while playing on Club Penguin.
My hope is that I can imitate these little guys with fondant and frosting. Wish me luck!

Comments