The Me I Used to Be...And Now
I have to say that it's a little weird to realize that I've lived over three decades. Very much a "thirty-something" now, my birthday is a day of reflection on how far I've come in these years. Even just ten years ago when I was a newly wed.
So, here's just a snippet of the progress I think I've made in "all my years". he he
Cooking...
at 12: Yeah, right. I never even cared to ONCE hang out with my mom in the kitchen and scope out her cooking skills. (Man, did I wish I had seven years later when I moved away for uni!)
at 22: Frozen pizza, Hamburger Helper, burritos, hot dogs, spaghetti, repeat. (yep, that's pretty much it)
at 32: I can make my own bread, rolls and pies (woohoo!! I. AM. WOMAN!), am willing to try just about any new dish out there, and have begun realizing my potential in the realm of stocking and using food storage. (Do YOU know how to use wheat berries?)
Perspective on Children...
at 12: I totally wanted to be a mom someday. My youngest bro was 10 years younger than me, and I babysat he and my younger sibs ALL THE TIME. So I was pretty sure I'd be a pro at it. I could change a diaper in 10 seconds flat, baby.
at 22: Sure, I wanted to have kids. And they were going to be perfect and clean (never look like "Walmart children" with the messy faces and holey knees in their jeans). Children were fun, as long as they played nicely, didn't run amok or get food on the floor or otherwise make messes. (so basically, children were awesome when they were sleeping newborns he he)
at 32: It is pretty common practice to be able to hold an adult conversation without batting an eyelash at the children squealing and having a great time in the other room. As long as nobody's bleeding or ripping up the furniture, it's all good. It can be crazy, but children are a fun challenge and a gift. I realize that my own character has been improved upon becoming a mother. I'm WAY less selfish (sometimes to my own detriment, or so Jake tells me), a master multi-tasker, I SOOOO appreciate what my mom did for me, not to mention that I am able to see life through new eyes. Their eyes. And love it all the more.
Friends...
at 12: Sixth and seventh grade was a mess of girly hormones and she-battles between friends. I had a handful of "best friends", and I always managed to be caught in between the dramas they were having with each other. Talking on the phone and sleep overs were a must. Who needs boys when you have your gal pals?
at 22: Jake was the center of my newly-wed universe. I still had my close friends from my youth and some from university, but I didn't really hang out much with anyone other than Jake. I think it was that whole "only have eyes for him" sort of thing. Email was invented by now, though, and I did use that to keep in touch. (whoa, did I just say email was invented? MAN, I'm feeling old!)
at 32: I feel like I've found more balance concerning friendships. Female friends are essential to maintaining sanity in the "man's world" that I live in. Jake is still my number one, but I have my bestest best friend in the whole world that I know I can call or email whenever I need her, and we pick up as if there aren't hundreds of miles between us. I also have the amazing women in my ward, neighborhood and family who build me up and make me smile. I think I understand better what it means to be a true friend to others, and I like to think I am one to them. (and keep the high school girl in me under lock and key)
Love...
at 12: Love was a handsome man who would open up doors, pull out chairs, bring me flowers, serenade me, and be my Prince Charming forever and life would be a happily ever after every day.
at 22: Just Jake and me. Still the opening of doors, flowers, (ok, no serenades because he doesn't sing), and being with my Prince Charming forever...and sometimes life, work, school and stuff get in our way.
at 32: True love is seeing a man who has been at school or work all day come home tired and still put on his "Daddy hat" to play with your babies, then eat the meal you prepared a million times on a million nights before and still say thank you for dinner. True love is working together, giving and taking, holding them up while they are struggling, then letting them hold you while you do the same. True love is still liking to be with each other even after you've gained twenty pounds and he's getting a little lighter up top. It's laughing and then standing strong together through the tough stuff.



So, I think I have grown up a bit. I'm OK with 32. Thank goodness, I'm no longer 12!
So, here's just a snippet of the progress I think I've made in "all my years". he he
Cooking...
at 12: Yeah, right. I never even cared to ONCE hang out with my mom in the kitchen and scope out her cooking skills. (Man, did I wish I had seven years later when I moved away for uni!)
at 22: Frozen pizza, Hamburger Helper, burritos, hot dogs, spaghetti, repeat. (yep, that's pretty much it)
at 32: I can make my own bread, rolls and pies (woohoo!! I. AM. WOMAN!), am willing to try just about any new dish out there, and have begun realizing my potential in the realm of stocking and using food storage. (Do YOU know how to use wheat berries?)
Perspective on Children...
at 12: I totally wanted to be a mom someday. My youngest bro was 10 years younger than me, and I babysat he and my younger sibs ALL THE TIME. So I was pretty sure I'd be a pro at it. I could change a diaper in 10 seconds flat, baby.
at 22: Sure, I wanted to have kids. And they were going to be perfect and clean (never look like "Walmart children" with the messy faces and holey knees in their jeans). Children were fun, as long as they played nicely, didn't run amok or get food on the floor or otherwise make messes. (so basically, children were awesome when they were sleeping newborns he he)
at 32: It is pretty common practice to be able to hold an adult conversation without batting an eyelash at the children squealing and having a great time in the other room. As long as nobody's bleeding or ripping up the furniture, it's all good. It can be crazy, but children are a fun challenge and a gift. I realize that my own character has been improved upon becoming a mother. I'm WAY less selfish (sometimes to my own detriment, or so Jake tells me), a master multi-tasker, I SOOOO appreciate what my mom did for me, not to mention that I am able to see life through new eyes. Their eyes. And love it all the more.
Friends...
at 12: Sixth and seventh grade was a mess of girly hormones and she-battles between friends. I had a handful of "best friends", and I always managed to be caught in between the dramas they were having with each other. Talking on the phone and sleep overs were a must. Who needs boys when you have your gal pals?
at 22: Jake was the center of my newly-wed universe. I still had my close friends from my youth and some from university, but I didn't really hang out much with anyone other than Jake. I think it was that whole "only have eyes for him" sort of thing. Email was invented by now, though, and I did use that to keep in touch. (whoa, did I just say email was invented? MAN, I'm feeling old!)
at 32: I feel like I've found more balance concerning friendships. Female friends are essential to maintaining sanity in the "man's world" that I live in. Jake is still my number one, but I have my bestest best friend in the whole world that I know I can call or email whenever I need her, and we pick up as if there aren't hundreds of miles between us. I also have the amazing women in my ward, neighborhood and family who build me up and make me smile. I think I understand better what it means to be a true friend to others, and I like to think I am one to them. (and keep the high school girl in me under lock and key)
Love...
at 12: Love was a handsome man who would open up doors, pull out chairs, bring me flowers, serenade me, and be my Prince Charming forever and life would be a happily ever after every day.
at 22: Just Jake and me. Still the opening of doors, flowers, (ok, no serenades because he doesn't sing), and being with my Prince Charming forever...and sometimes life, work, school and stuff get in our way.
at 32: True love is seeing a man who has been at school or work all day come home tired and still put on his "Daddy hat" to play with your babies, then eat the meal you prepared a million times on a million nights before and still say thank you for dinner. True love is working together, giving and taking, holding them up while they are struggling, then letting them hold you while you do the same. True love is still liking to be with each other even after you've gained twenty pounds and he's getting a little lighter up top. It's laughing and then standing strong together through the tough stuff.


So, I think I have grown up a bit. I'm OK with 32. Thank goodness, I'm no longer 12!

Comments