Great Great Nana

Today would have been the 101st birthday of my great-Nana. My little five-foot-nothin' Italian grandma. She passed away the day after my birthday this year and we went down to California for her memorial service this last weekend.


This was Nana at her 100th birthday party last February.


I was so glad that she had had the opportunity to meet all three of her great-great-grandsons. She met Riley for the first and only time this last Thanksgiving when we went down to visit my family and made a stop over to visit her.


It was sad the last couple of years after she was finally put in a nursing home. Her dementia had gotten so bad that she didn't remember who we were and was often disoriented. We had to reintroduce ourselves to her every time we visited, even my mom who visited her on a regular basis. I'm sorry that my boys weren't able to know her while she was putting around her little house in her slacks and little heels (it was the only way she could get any height on that tiny frame of hers).

I remember Nana as the spunky lady with the adorable laugh and squeaky little voice. She loved to get together with her neighborhood girlfriends and play bridge, and take care of her kitty. When I was a little girl and went to visit her, she'd make Italian food, teach me to play card games and let me play with her little figurines (I remember two little girls in big dresses showing off their frilly pettycoats and another pair that were a boy and a girl on a park bench kissing. I used to love fiddling with those things.).

She was our connection to our Italian side of my mom's family and held things together. She took care of my mom and her brothers after their mom passed away in a car accident when my mom was 15. Later, Nana's husband passed away and then her only son, my mom's dad, passed away when I was 10. We weren't left with much family on that side at all.

We are going to miss Nana, but I am grateful for the chance I had to know her. She was made of tough stuff, and I hope that I can be that kind of a lady. She led a full life and I know that she is with her dear husband and family now. I love you, Nana!

Comments

seegfam said…
so sorry about the loss of your nana - she sounds like she was an amazing person...hmmm - just like you! :)
jennifer casady said…
So sorry for your loss, Stephanie. You are doing an amazing job living her legacy & I'm sure that she is so very proud of you.