While It Lasts

Dear Riley Bear,

I know that I am only buying my time here. I know that this will not last. But I am loving every moment of being the center of your little universe. It's selfish, it's true. And probably a bit self-absorbed to think like this. But it doesn't make it any less invigorating to see you every morning with a huge smile on your face just for me. When no one can make you happy, I can. True, I'm also the one with the food-on-hand, but I like to think that my whitty personality and quick laughter have at least a small part in it.

For now, I am the woman in your life and I love that. Your sweet little life is not complicated. You have me. That's as simple as it gets.

This is my favorite age. You smile, you laugh, you hold my fingers. Not only that, you have a simple diet, don't run away, don't say "no" to me, and don't have the forces of the world trying to taint your innocent spirit yet.

I love you, Riley Bear. Know that I waited for you to come here, and feel so blessed to have you in my life. Let me be a part of it for as long as possible (until you are too old and cool for me).

Much love,
Mommy

Comments

Anna said…
So sweet, I feel much the same! Alice is a real hugger, she likes to cuddle right in and you just can't resist that smile!
Lauren said…
What a beautiful picture!
Callie. said…
oh that is so sweet and made me tear up! I feel the same way about August. Sometimes I feel guilty for loving her so much! I'm so glad you have Riley to enjoy and your other boys too! :)
you are such a good mom! I have always thought that. Like I always say, there is nothing like a baby!
Justin + kelly said…
What a doll! You guys look great!
Louise said…
Your family is so lucky to have you.

I'm lucky to have you as a daught-in-law.

You're really a beautiful mother and person-inside and out!!
Kathy Arnold said…
That totally made me cry! You are such a fun and loving mom. Thanks for always inspiring me! I love your blog.