"The Leader of the Pack"

"That's when I fell for...the leader of the pack." he he OK, so there weren't any vroom vroom's going on like the oldies song, but he looked darn cute up there. (not sure what was up with the robot hands, though, LOL) Caleb, our little wolf scout, got to lead the flag ceremony at this month's pack meeting. That's him sportin' his uniform next to Brother Kazek, our cub scout master.
Caleb has been having a ball being a cub scout. Since his birthday last July, he started attending our ward's wolf den meetings and making friends with all the other boys. (If you're a little lost with the cub vs. wolf scout lingo, don't worry. It's a whole other language, but basically a wolf scout is one of the levels within cub scouting. There are also tiger, bobcat, bear and webelo.)

Here they are doing an activity about disability awareness. (Caleb is the first "S".) They had had to take off their shoes, then get blind folded and have their fingers tied together, THEN find their own pair of shoes amongst the pile and put them on. They were trying to simulate being blind and not having full function of their hands. The cub scout master and other leaders talked about understanding those with disabilites.

Here they are trying to pass a message to each other with their ears stopped up with cotton balls, simulating being partially deaf. I think they got the idea. He also happens to be sitting next to his buddy, Jaxon, who multiple people have told me they've mistaken for Caleb. They think that he and Caleb could be brothers and have the same eyes.
Scouting is definitely more involved that I thought it was going to be. It's probably 90% parent participation (at least if you are a crazy perfectionist like me and want your scout to earn all their ranks and things). They only have one year in each den before moving up to the next level, and there are a truck load of requirements! I couldn't help but realize that I'm also going to have three scouts at once! When Riley is eight and starts as a wolf scout, Bren and Caleb will be full blown scouts in the young men's program! ZOINKS! Well, at least I'll be a pro by then, right? As the cub scouts would say, I'll be one rockin' "Akela" (aka "the at-home leader").
"I, Stephanie, promise to do my best
to do my duty to God and my country,
to help other people, and
to obey the Law of the Pack."
And you better believe it. ;)

Comments