My Three Sons


It's hard to believe, but I am officially a mother of three. Last Wednesday, the 18th, I went in to finally be induced and apparently it was the baby's day to come regardless because I ended up going into contractions all on my own for the first time! As one who has needed a pitosin jumpstart both other times, that was a big deal.

I went in first thing in the morning and the nurse checked me. Shocker - I was a five! When did THAT happen?! I'd been stalled at a three for what seemed like ages and was pretty sure that nothing was going to come of it. Boy, was I wrong.

Then, shortly after she had checked me, I started having my own contractions. They were inconsistent....five minutes apart, then three, then four, then three again. But it was looking hopeful. The nurse thought that I may still need some pitosin to get them hard and fast enough, though, so I decided to go ahead and get my epideral. Those induction drugs really pack a punch. The bummer was that once the epideral kicked in, it didn't take me long to realize that it had only worked on one side! Weird! So, I was feeling my contractions on my right side and not on my left. So half relief, I suppose. I was at about a seven and holding, and was feeling pretty good.

It was at that point that I told Jake and his mom (who had been kind enough to come up to help since my mom was in the midst of her first week back to school teaching) to go and get themselves some food. I figured that I had a good few hours before any of the fun started. Well, that ended up being all of about thirty minutes.

The next time the nurse checked me, the baby was ready to go! Ah! They still had to call the doctor, who would be at least 20 minutes in transit, and I had to get Jake back there. I texted a 911 to him and hoped that I could hold it together until the necessary men in my life showed up. It was a long 20 minutes of breathing, while the nurse sat and monitored the little tape measure of contractions and heartbeats.

It was when I didn't think I could hold out any longer that they announced that the doctor had arrived and he started putting his gear on. But WHERE was Jake?! I tried phoning him again and his phone didn't pick up! I was on the brink of panic when he popped in the door. Thank goodness! Now we could get this thing done!

About four contractions (ten minutes) later, our third son, Riley William was born. I was pretty proud of myself for getting him out so quickly. Caleb took a whopping hour or two and Brendan 20 minutes.

But then I started freaking out because he wasn't crying. He had had the cord wrapped around his neck and the doctor was extricating him from it and suctioning him out. He still hadn't cried when they took him over to the warmer to have a better look at him. It was all I could do to not get a little hysterical. I'm pretty sure I was beginning to bawl at that point. But then finally his little (actually sort of big) wails broke out, and I was blanketed with relief. He was alright. As a matter of fact the next thing I heard told me that he was more than alright. He was a 10 lb 7oz giant of alright. I could hardly believe my ears! Seriously?! I delivered that ginormous child?!?



At 22 inches long, too, he beat my other two by a solid two pounds and 2 or 3 inches! Jake quickly proclaimed, "THERE'S my linebacker!" Proud Papa.


(you can see Riley's baby low-jack on his ankle)

So after a brief 24 hour stay full of no sleep (thanks to the nurses) and constant heel pricks for Riley (due to low blood sugar tests), we were happy to get the heck out of there and get home. Lucky thing we had a 0-3 months outfit to take him home in. It fit perfectly!


(Jake forgot the camera, so we didn't get a picture of him in it until we were back home. He had a lot of infant rash, poor guy, but he was still a cutie.)

Caleb and Brendan were absolutely ecstatic to have their new baby brother home and have been taking turns holding him ever since.


If it wasn't for the fact that I have to nurse him, I might not get a turn!

He is such a sweet baby, and we are absolutely loving him. I had been so worried that I would be super rusty and not remember how to deal with a newborn, but I've realized it's sort of like riding a bicycle. And maybe because I'm a little bit older, a bit less high strung than I was with the first two, I've found that I am really enjoying this newborn stage infinitely more.


He has that fresh from heaven presence that makes me want to smile all the time. Welcome to our family, Riley!

Comments

Louise said…
Love the story and sure brought back memories of that special day and time....
Lauren said…
Thank you for sharing your story! Your boys are lucky to have a mom like you.
Jenn said…
Congrats! Love the pics! Glad Jake made it, I think you were crazy letting him go get food :) Well, Riley has Cam beat, he was 10 lbs. 5 oz. Now you can be in the cool, "I delivered a bowling ball" club he he. Anyway, he's a cutie, hope you're getting plenty of rest!
Justin + kelly said…
Hes great!! Im so excited for you guys! I may be coming down to vegas this month for my teeth, I will have to detour to meet the new little munchkin!
Callie. said…
Congratulations to your whole family! I loved reading the story.
Kristy said…
That totally made me cry. That is so special. I am so happy for you guys. I can't wait to meet him. Love you!
*Lauren* said…
So so so cute! My last experience had some simularities. I too waited for the Dr. and got Seth out in 10 min....but you certainly beat me in pounds!!! Never heard of a half-working epidural...only you Steph! :) Makes you feel special huh? haha--Love ya!