Rollin' Back to School
The night before, I was nervous as usual although I DID try to hide it. It's absolutely ridiculous that I get this nervous transference EVERY time, but the night before I was the one that couldn't hardly sleep. I kept thinking about how scary it is for a little person going into a big, strange place without a friend in it. It takes a lot of courage, and up until then Caleb hadn't shown any signs whatsoever of being scared. I was amazed.
So, that morning, we went through the usual school routines - scripture study, breakfast, etc. - and Jacob left on his own bike for school. It felt like forever before it was finally time for us to head out. Caleb's old school started at 8:20, and Kesterson doesn't start until 8:47, which feels so late to me.
We geared up to go
There were a couple of crossing guards opposite our corner, taking folks across the main road towards the school. They hadn't paid us any mind as we rolled up, and I figured that they must be only crossing people on the main drag rather than the smaller side road we were approaching them from. So, I did a quick check and told Caleb to go ahead. Oh boy, did I get it. We were half way across when one of the crossing guards, a taller black gentleman, laid into me for not waiting for the crossing guard and how I might have been hit. (yeah, because I'm not a grown woman whose crossed many a busy street in my life) But, I didn't argue, I just said OK as he continued to lecture me until we were crossing over the main street with the other guard. Good grief. It's been awhile since I've been reprimanded, so it actually struck me sorta hard. How embarrassing!
So after my lashing, we made our way to the front of the school to lock Caleb's bike up at the racks. It was then that incident number two occurred (cuz two is so much more fun than one!). We locked up the bike and turned to take Caleb onto the playground where his class was meant to line up when I suddenly realized that there was only about an 18 inch opening between two tall steel posts through which we were to enter, and here I was with my double-wide stroller. Getting a bit exasperated, I told Caleb to follow the herd in and we would go around and try to find another entrance. A bit relunctantly, he went in and I jogged all the way around the school to the bus entrance side looking for another entrance. Another stupid narrow entrance! Then another! What in the heck?! Didn't they FIGURE that there would be parents on the first days of school dropping off students, probably with other children in tow? At this point I was getting straight out angry, having to finally abandon the stroller outside one of the entrances and high-tail it in there to find Caleb... only to be met with a mob scene.
My stomach fell to my feet as I looked out at the sea of parents and children. It was madness. How would I ever find him in this mess? Then as I was about to abandon hope, I spotted him - right at the front of his teacher's line! I was so relieved and pleased that he'd found it all by himself in that craziness. He was looking a bit like a deer in the headlights at that point, so I introduced him to his teacher and explained that we were new to the area. I also introduced him to a boy standing right behind him named Harry so that he'd have at least ONE kid in the school that he'd know right away. His eyes started filling up with tears at that point, poor kid, which of course started getting me all choked up. I knew that I had to make it a clean break and fast. So, we did our new mom-son handshake (this one was Batman inspired), told him he'd have a surprise in his lunch and Bren and I kissed and hugged him goodbye. I hated to leave him on the brink of tears, but I knew that he would be alright once we were gone. Before I left, a lady I assumed to be Harry's mom asked me what his name was and I told her Caleb and left in the direction of our abandoned stroller as quickly as I could. Oh, man! I hope this gets easier next year.
But on the bright side, when we went back to collect Caleb after school, he was all happiness and enthusiasm. As I figured, he had been fine and had a fun day. He'd found the Batman stickers and note in his lunch and was thrilled. Phew! Welcome to the second grade.

Comments
I'm the same way about getting reprimanded. I hate feeling like I'm in trouble.
Good luck to Caleb getting adjusted to his new school. I'm sure that he'll have tons of friends before he knows it.