Kidnapping, Chopping, Ditching & Slicing...Thirty Sounded Scary

I can honestly say that I had not been looking forward to letting my twenties die and celebrating the big 3-0. Not only did it just sound scary (and old), but as far as I knew it was going to be a very anti-climatic experience, too. My birthday would fall on a Thursday, when Jake usually worked, so I was planning to have another day of business as usual - carpooling kids to school, making meals, cleaning the house, Jake leaving for work, a night alone on the couch watching "The Office", yadda yadda.

My only birthday plans cropped up the Saturday before when a bunch of us girls were able to get away without hubbies and kiddies in tow for some cake and chocolate at my favorite Eugene spot, Sweet Life. It was nice to have a casual birthday gathering along with my friend, Kimberly, whose birthday would be on the 10th. When you combine chocolate and girl friends, you just can't go wrong. Little did I know that when Thursday arrived it would start this new decade of life off with a bang.

Bright and early at 6am, Jake, Caleb and Brendan barged into my room all smiles, camera and my coat in hand to whisk me from my bed to breakfast. (yeah, that was me wondering who was out of bed at 6am, then all of a sudden ***FLASH***. Thanks, guys.)Having never been kidnapped back in high school, it was a new experience for me - partially filled with surprise and partially filled with dread over the fact that I was haggard looking without make-up, with wild hair and my pink, candy-striped pj bottoms on. Awesome. But, the boys were so excited to be privy to this little adventure, that I couldn't do anything except smile, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Breakfast was a great treat, after which the crew graciously let me get myself ready for the day. Unbeknownst to me, Jake had gotten the day off of work (yea!), so after he drove my carpool for me, I was next off to chop off my locks. Yep, I finally did it. At a classy sounding place, "Hair Ba Doo Ba", I cut it to the shortest it's ever been - and I love it! Although, I have to say that I was a little put off when Brendan said that I looked like Velma from Scooby-Doo. Hey, that's me. Good ol' Velma.
"Jinkies!" (I took this picture of my hair while wearing my Velma glasses the day afterward and don't my eyes look rather bronzy-topaz-like to you? Hmmm. I must have recently fed.)

So after the haircut, Jake would only disclose that we HAD to leave the house by 11:30. Thinking that maybe we had a surprise lunch date somewhere, I only grew more confused as he seemed to meander around the downtown area. I began to wonder if he was lost when he suddenly stopped the car, handed me an envelope and said that I was getting out. "What, like, by myself?" I said. Yep, ditched to go on by myself. OK, so lunch was out. It wasn't until I was standing in front of the sign for "The Pearl Day Spa" that I realized where we were. I'd never been to a day spa before, so I was thrilled to think that I'd be getting a massage or a manicure or something. I could have never guessed that I was in fact getting "the works" as the lady at the front desk informed me. She looked at her notes and said, "Oh, yeah! You're the surprise! First you'll have an hour facial, followed by an hour massage and then a pedicure and manicure." Hwhat?!? (gulp) That was the point at which I just vowed that I would try not to freak out when I eventually saw our credit card bill and would just enjoy the experience. Holy cow!

It was a lot of fun. I think the only thing that could have made it absolutely perfect was if I had a buddy in there with me, but otherwise it was more than I could have ever expected. (Although, I'm thinking that maybe this is my bribe for being about to step into the world of being a med-student's wife. We'll see...) Once the boys picked me up, my new hairdo was a mess and I, once again, was without makeup and looking my "loveliest", but it was worth it. Then it was home to the little party they had set up, decked out with streamers and a banner, some pizza and the cake. Yum! The boys also got me a little "Happy Birthday" tiara to wear. They said that since I'm the only girl in the house, I needed to feel like a princess. Ahh!

So far, thirty doesn't feel so bad. As a matter of fact, looking back on these three decades of life, I feel more comfortable in my own skin than I ever have (Heck, I just posted pictures of myself without make-up!). I am content knowing that there are some things I cannot change, and feel eager and empowered to take charge and change the things I CAN control. I am learning to find joy in the little things, have a grateful heart and more openly share myself and my feelings with the people in my life. I like to think that I can make a difference, be it even just a tiny one, in the world by raising my kids the best way I know how and by being the person I know I can be. I think this next decade will be great.

Comments

Laurie said…
Stephanie...Your hair looks great!!! I guess somehow I didn't realize you were turning 30...congratulations, I think that 30 will be a great year! I'm glad you had such a great day, you deserve it. What a sweet group of boys you have!
Unknown said…
HAPPY BELATED 30th! I have mine in a few months so glad to hear it is not half bad - If I got just the day spa experience or the princess treatment I would be happy (:
Callie. said…
what a wodnerful birthday! The works at a spa? Wow, that is any girls dream. Well, mine anyways. I'm glad you got so spoiled and I love your new hair! Happy Birthday again!
Ceri said…
I love your hair! And what a great birthday!:) I am turning the big 3-0 this year too and I hope that my birthday is as great as yours was!:) Did you end up donating your hair? I really do like the short hair cut, it looks gorgeous!:)HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Kristy said…
Happy Birthday! Your hair is awesome! What a great birthday. Looks like you were treaded like a queen! You are awesome I am glad that I have been privileged to know you for half of your life! You are awesome! Love you!
Kristin said…
What a fun birthday! It sounds like the boys really went all out! I smiled the whole time just reading it!
Shalene said…
glad you had a happy birthday!!!! Happy belated b-day!!!