
OK so, if we're being honest, the "sweet" part of bring brothers is often more of a 70-30 sort of thing. Much of the time there is bickering over who stole whose toy or who looked at who the wrong way. But then there are the precious moments that pass between these two little boys that make me smile and warm my heart. I wanted to be sure and document a couple of these moments before they become overshadowed in my memories by yet another argument over Legos.
Moment #1:
Every Wednesday, Caleb's first grade class goes to the school library, and
he comes home with one or two books of his choosing. This last week, when
Brendan and I picked him up from school, he had a knowing grin on his face and
announced that he had a big surprise in his backpack for Brendan. He made Bren
wait in suspence until we arrived home, after which he opened his bag and
proclaimed, "I got a special book just for YOU, Brendan! It's about trains
because I know that you love trains!" It was one of those gigantic DK published
picture/info books all about trains. Brendan was so excited to check it out
right away, and Caleb was so pleased to have made his day. I nearly got choked
up at the thought that this little six-year-old thought of his little brother
during his busy school day and used one of his own check-outs to get something
for Brendan. It was so thoughtful of him. I gave him a big hug and told him what
a special, kind thing that was for him to do.
Moment #2:
Shortly after Caleb surprised Brendan with the train book, we were (again)
picking Caleb up from school when Brendan announced to Caleb that he had a
surprise for HIM. Just like Caleb, he wouldn't say what it was, but he was
confident that Caleb would like it. When we got home, he rushed to his room to
grab a Lego spaceship that he had constructed for Caleb - calling it "the Death
Star" (and, no, Brendan's never even seen the movies, but he's gotten the
terminology from Caleb and Jake). Anyways, Caleb accepted the slightly lopsided,
losely constructed little craft and said graciously, "Thanks, Bren!" That was
yet another moment when I saw something pass between these little guys that just
brought it all back for me - they do have a sweet love for one another. Although
it often feels like they bicker more than get along, there is a special bond
there. I am so grateful for that. I try to remind myself and them about that
when we are all having a bad day. Because then more times than not, when it's
all said and done, the day will end with those two little boys lying across from
one another in their beds at night giggling and chatting about anything and
everything. They truly are sweet brothers.


Comments
Thanks for inviting me to check out your blog. I love the stories and pictures. Brendan and Caleb have grown into very handsome fellows!
I think of England often,and our 'lovely' times there. Happy memories...
I'll check back often. Thanks for keeping in touch! If you're ever in the mood for a vacation, you're family is always welcome to stay at our home here in Utah!
-Lisa