Smooth Move - With a Couple Exceptions

Ah, home sweet home. It's not much to look at with all the trees blocking it, but it's nice and cozy now. I feel like I've been out of it forever, but I guess it's only been a week since our move up the butte to Forest Village. Then again, there was the whole week leading up to it - full of packing and preparations - so I guess it's been more like two weeks since ground zero of normalcy. But here we are finally on the other side. Phew!

Spencer View did have a nice send off for us. The night before the move (two Fridays ago, I guess) was the family housing movie & pizza night in the community room. It had been awhile since we'd attended one, but they've been something that Caleb and Brendan have looked forward to. And how could you not, right? Free pizza!
Caleb's friend, Ryan Tyndall, and his little brother Sean also attended, so all the boys sat together with a good view of "Howls' Moving Castle". Brendan wasn't feeling well (we were all coming down with colds just in time for the move) so we didn't stay for the whole movie, but it was a fun time anyways.
Thanks to the help of many of our ward friends, the move went pretty smoothly and swiftly the next morning. The boys played at the Higgins' house, while we got the work done. It only took about two hours to get the majority of the boxes and furniture moved. We got another pleasant surprise, too, when Kathy Barnes showed up with some lunch for us. What a sweetie! Once we picked up the boys, they were pretty excited to see their new room and play with their toys again. We got some visits from a couple deer on our front walk while we continued bringing in boxes, too, which had us all marveling. We are literally in the forest up here. It's wild...literally.
I must say that for awhile we were a little worried about whether or not we'd fit into the apartment, though. This was due to the fact that there were literally wall to wall boxes filling up our entire living space. Thankfully, after a week of climbing over stuff and unpacking (and some exceptional organizational skills I must say he he), we can finally see the floor and are settling in.
The only glitches in the process were a broken refrigerator that needed replacing the morning after we moved in and the fleas that I managed to invite into the house. Yes, fleas! I have never in my life had or ever even SEEN fleas until the day of our move. Somewhere along the way, I started noticing all these little bites around my lower legs and along my sock line. EEWWW! At first, my thought was, "Mosquitoes!" They always love me. But then after a conversation with our friends, the Griffins, I realized that I was in fact being attacked by fleas. Today the management did the first of a couple bombings. I hope that this means the last of those little buggers, and that I can finally stop being paranoid about every twinge and itch I feel.



On the bright side, we got to celebrate our first official weekend in our new place by watching General Conference and then doing some fun Halloween decorating for FHE. The boys have been so excited since it became October that we just couldn't put it off another moment. Something about draping the house with spiderwebs and pulling out old costumes just works them into a frenzy of fun. Today, a box arrived from my parents with one of my brother's old Star Wars costumes, too. Caleb immediately commandeered it, and says that he wants to be Anakin for Halloween. Let the good times roll!

Comments

Kristy said…
He looks really cute in that costume! I am glad you got moved in so well. I am so sorry about the fridge and the fleas! I can't even imagine!. When my mom told me the girl who sits next to Abby had head lice (we did not get it thankfully) I almost threw up and wanted to take a shower! I can't even imagine! I hope that those bombs work. I guess that is what you get in the wild. Deer in the front yard are pretty cool though.
yeah! I love "the move is FINALLY over" feeling! Looks like you guys are doing really well :) despite a few colds and fleas. FLEAS?!? how random! I have to say I don't think I've ever seen them either... I hope you get them exterminated successfully :)
Shalene said…
well i am glad the move has gone well!!! very unlucky about the fleas though. I would have to say i have seen my fair share of fleas though from working in apartments after people have moved out. Definitely get a couple of bombs done because you have to get the fleas that have hatched after the first bomb. the bomb does not kill the eggs. so keep an eye out. I know what you mean by the feeling of fleas biting you if you know they were there. the life of outdoors!!! gotta love it!!! :)
lisa said…
yay! sounds like the move went well and you're all settled... AND have halloween decorations up too, i'm so impressed! i hope you like the new digs!

(oh yeah, and i like the new blog look!)
Paul said…
Hey. Fleas are a pain. At Malta Road we had them. In the end, with much research on the net, it seems that vacuuming a house that hasn't been cleaned for a while will cause dormant eggs to hatch leading to a flea problem. Bombing wasn't an option so flea powder over the whole house it was. Worst few days we ever had there! So full sympathy here!!!

Looking forward to some photos of the new place.
The Grahams said…
Glad to see the move went well! I love decorating for Halloween! It's tons of fun! Good luck getting all those fleas out!
Marci said…
What a cute blog. You definitely have a talent for writing.
I'm impressed with your box car. You are a super fun mom. I feel your pain when it comes to stolen bikes. Ours were gone within a week of being in Eugene.