Not So Lazy Summer Day

I did it! I can't believe I did it! Who would have thought? Definitely not me! This July Fourth I finished my first ever race - Eugene's 35th annual "Butte to Butte" 10K. I didn't really tell anyone I was planning to do it just in case I wimped out and didn't participate, but I've been training myself for the last two months or so and trying to get my rear into shape. It's been really tough, and I am soooo NOT a runner, but our ward apparently participates every year and so that was a much needed push to really do this thing.

There is the 4.5 mile Mayor's Walk which most people from our ward participated in, but I figured that this was my big opportunity to prove to myself that I could do the big run. Jake participated in the Salt Lake City 5K back when we were engaged, and I always thought it would be cool to say that I did something like that, too. Especially with the big 3-0 creeping up on me here. I thought that this was just as good a time as any. So, every week I tried jogging further and further until I knew I could make the 6.2 mile stretch without killing myself. Thank goodness for Google Maps and my mp3 player for helping me! It was also a great motivator that Eugene is pretty much the running capital of the US, so there is literally an all-weather track right next to our apartments, running pavements and wood-chip running trails at the park across the street and throughout town, plus scads of runners (both "pros" and "nots" like me). I just didn't have a good excuse why NOT to participate.
So, here I am at 6:30am with my number pinned on and microchip attached to my shoe (how state-of-the-art, huh?). The fugly lime green shirt is our ward's T-shirt so that we could be recognized as a group. It reads, "No Common Latter-day Saints" and has the scripture from Mosiah 15:15 "And O how beautiful upon the mountains were their feet!" Perfect, right? The shirt definitely made it easier for others to spot me as well as for me to later spot myself in posted pictures and video (those links will take you to "Butte to Butte" sites with a posted video of the finish and the professional photographer's shots of the runners). Jake and the boys cheered me on at about the four mile mark. It was good to see some smiling faces to keep me moving. There were also some other ward members along the route to give me a shout out.

I finished with an official time of 1:01:58, which I was totally happy with. One, because I ran the entire thing, so I was just happy to be done. Two, because I was about in the later-middle of the pack, so I beat out the folks that came in at nearly the two hour mark (I was terrified of coming in last). And three, because that meant that I ran about a 9:50 mile which I feel is totally respectable for a non-runner. Yeah! No records broken here, but it was a huge accomplishment for me personally both for my personal fitness and just as a "now I can say I've done it" sort of thing.

Comments

Unknown said…
Congrats - that is awesome! I hate running but have been known to do it too!
Way to go!!! I've always wanted to say I did something like that, too... but I am definately NOT a runner. Maybe after the twins...?
Jon and Julie said…
9:50 is great! Had I known you were a runner . . . =)
Ceri said…
Congrats! That is great! Last summer I did a 5K, but a 10K is much more impressive! I hate running too, but it definitely helps to have a goal to run towards! So are you going to do another? Congrats again!:)
jalynn said…
That is so awesome! Good for you. I can totally relate to not being a runner...i hate running, so i know how hard it is to find the motivation to run when it isn't fun for you. Good job!!
Kristy said…
Woah! You never cease to amaze me. I am hoping one of these days to get my big booty out and do a race like that someday. I think I might die though. You are totally awesome! No wonder you are looking so hot!
Ceri said…
Thanks for the comment! We are actually coming up past you guys to Washington, Mark's mom lives up there! But I totally agree, I wish we could all be near each other again! I know Mark and I want to end up in Oregon, as does my brother and his family, they wish they could be there right now!:)
Sheilabeila said…
Way hey! You did very well. Its not easy. I did the Dublin Mini marathon twice so I know what it is like! Fair play to you... :-)
The Grahams said…
Congrats on doing it!! I didn't know you ran! Isn't the butte to butte fun? I love how you are just surrounded by so many people both pro and non-pro like you said.... it makes you feel so healthy and active and excited to be doing something so good for yourself!
jennifer casady said…
You ran for a whole hour!? Wow. I'm impressed. I'm feeling tortured before 15 minutes is up. Congrats on your accomplishment...wish I was there to cheer you on!