Caleb's Scripture

Late last week, we got a phone call from Caleb's CTR 6 teacher, Brother Merrill, asking if Caleb would be able to share a scripture on Sunday for Primary. So, of course, we said yes and set to work trying to find one that wasn't too long, but that had some great meaning for him to read to the other kids. Then, I came across one that was perfect. I typed it out in large print for him to read, and we practiced reading it through a number of times. It only had a couple of words that he didn't know, which was even better. Then today was the big day.

He didn't seem especially nervous like I thought he might be, but practiced reading it to me confidently. It was only when we were getting ready to leave for church that he started asking if I would help him read it once it was time. I assured him that he read it perfectly and that I would be there for moral support. And I'm happy to say that he did a wonderful job. He sat up at the front in the "scripture" chair very reverently and when his name was called went up to the podium, spoke loudly into the microphone and read his scripture all by himself! It was the first time that he's ever read in public on his own. He ended with a huge smile on him face, knowing what a great job he'd done, and I'm pretty sure that he felt good for knowing that he didn't need my help after all. His reading has been really coming along and it was a great moment as Jake and I watched (Jake with a big grin and me with my eyes starting to swim a bit LOL).

Here is Caleb's scripture, just as he read it:

Third Nephi Chapter 11 Verse 33

"And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God."


Happy Sunday!

Comments

aaawwwww! I usually end up with my eyes swimming, too :) what a great feeling to do it well all by himself! he must have been so proud :)
Louise said…
Caleb - I am so proud of you and for you being able to read the scripture without asking for help. You are a very special young man and we love you lots..
jalynn said…
Caleb is getting to be such a big kid! He was just starting to talk when we first met him, and now he is READING!!! that is crazy! Also, I am glad you were able to make it up to the temple. We are a bit biased, but the Portland Temple is our favorite, we were married there :).
Justin + kelly said…
Go Big C!! Oh to give just a scripture again. I think I would need help too, I hate public spaking!

PS. the portland temple is one of my fav's, I love standing outside admiring its beauty knowing you are about to go inside. Priceless
wow how wonderful! I am going to be just like you. I cry at the littlest things too. you guys should be such proud parents!!