Salsa Time (The Non-Poisonous Variety)

It has been one of my life-long dreams to be one of those cutie older couples that can bust it out on the dance floor when they go dancing or to a wedding or whatever. You know...the ones that recognize a cha-cha beat or a waltz and go out there and show their stuff and have a blast. I think that it's a real tragedy that the art of proper dancing has, for the most part, been lost on the generations since like World War II. Enless you were raised in Utah or somewhere where they actually have junior high and high school ballroom dance classes and clubs, you did "the waddle" whenever a school or youth dance was held because you never learned anything else, myself included.

I didn't learn anything about actual dancing until I took a beginning ballroom class at BYU (this was long before "Dancing with the Stars"). It was such a blast. Jake later took a Latin class, too, which I got to audit. Since then, it's been awhile since we've been able to practice those skills at all, and much of what we learned has gone the way of all the earth - SO we were thrilled when Jake discovered that U of O has a ballroom dance club that holds Friday night dances every week. The first hour is taken for beginners instruction in a different dance each time, and then the rest of the time is open dancing. It's quite impressive to see many of the club members and even some older folks from the community cuttin' a rug with the best of them. But thankfully, there are also the beginners like us who are just happy to know the basic steps and just enjoy ourselves.
Last night, we got to learn the basics of the salsa. Our instructor was a local studio owner, a little Hispanic guy, who could really shake it. It was great fun. It was also a good work out once those faster songs started.

Comments

jalynn said…
good for you for having some fun! Those dances are so much fun to learn and practice.
Ceri said…
Mark and I really want to do this! Well, me more than Mark, but I am hoping that we can over the summer! That's awesome that you did this!
lishalou said…
HOw fun! I didn't know you ever wanted to learn Steph! I would have given you guys lessons for free back in Wymount days. People pay like $100+ for a 45 min lesson now days, it's nuts! I've got you guys covered anytime you're in town! HA! ;)
Justin + kelly said…
SO fun! I wish we would have been around, Justin and I have been talking about taking a dance class together since we got married.
Kristy said…
Awesome! You look hot by the way!