Poison Salsa?

Yesterday I had the lovely privilege of experiencing my first food poisoning, and of all the things you wouldn't think could poison you - it must have been the salsa that I'd eaten. I had just opened the jar fresh before using it, too, but within 30 minutes I had killer stomach cramps and had to lie down. After starting a usual day of laundry, exercising and getting Caleb off to school, I was out of commission for the rest of the day. Thank goodness it was one of Jake's lighter school days and he was there with me most of the time and helping with the boys and getting something rustled up for dinner while I was sick about six times. Lovely.

As one who had never enjoyed the effects of a good food poisoning, I didn't even realize that that was what was wrong at first. I mean, who expects salsa to poison them? I always thought it was from something like left out mayonnaise or uncooked chicken. So, for any others who have yet to have this joyous opportunity, here are the signs that you have probably joined the ranks of the previously poisoned (thanks to emedicalhealth.com).

Depending on the contamination, the symptoms can develop rapidly, within 30 minutes, or slowly, worsening over days to weeks.
Symptoms usually include (and I guess ought to be pretty obvious) nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramping.
Usually food poisoning is not serious, and the illness runs its course in 24-48 hours. And thank goodness for that. Who has the TIME to be sick like that? Not to mention that it was worse than anything I had experienced during pregnancy, thanks to the stomach cramps. I am so thankful for my usual good health.

Comments

jennifer casady said…
I really feel for you. Poor thing. I wonder if that's what's wrong with me. I've been having stomach cramps since last night, and although none of the other stuff, I really don't have time for it. Glad you're feeling better, and beware of the poisoned salsa!
Tiff said…
You sure you're not preggers....?
lishalou said…
So my friends hubby works for the helath dept division that goes into resturants and checks this stuff....he said that salsa is one of the number one contaminated foods out there and that people rarely consider thinking 2x about eating from restaurants. I was shocked! Then he said, "think about it, it sits out all day usually, maybe on ice sometimes, opened and exposed just collecting bacteria!" I guess guagamole too. I would have never guess either. Sick to think aobut huh? Sorry Steph! That's not fun!
whoa, salsa? that's nuts! sorry to hear you joined the ranks- that stinks!