Sounded Fun Tag
This one sounded interesting - and as I'm currently on a personal history kick, you all get to enjoy it. Or not. Whatever. (Sorry for being a slacker with your last tag, Tiff. This one will make it up.)
20 years ago: Wow, Ok, age be told. In 1988, I was nine years old (yikes!) and living with my family in Glendora, California. I was in fourth grade and doing the grade school struggle. I remember the daily dramas of girls being friends one day and not being friends the next. But, on a good day, I would be playing four-square or swinging and doing flips on the bars at recess (I remember getting the biggest bruises behind my knees from doing that spinning on one leg trick on the bar). I also had the biggest crush on a guy in my class, Peter Berg. We were also in GATE together, and I thought he was so cute and brilliant. I shudder looked back at pics of myself at that age, though, because that was the pre-braces era. Thanks so much Mom and Dad!
10 years ago: 1998 was a big year for me. It was the year I met Jacob. Man, it's really been ten years! Fresh off his mission, scared of girls and just starting to come to the Institute. I was the Institute president and HAD to do some fellowshipping. Oh, darn. It was also the year that I graduated from VVC in Fine Arts and made ready to transfer in January of 1999 to BYU Provo to study elementary education (yeah, if that's not a stereo-typically Mormon girl thing to do, but hey it worked). Jake and I went on some of the most fun dates during those months before I left. Good memories.
5 years ago: In 2002, I was teaching fifth grade at Sunset View Elementary in Provo while Jake was still at BYU. I was also pregnant with Caleb. Sunset View was a year-round school, so I taught until the end of Mayish and then had the summer to get things ready for the baby. Man, it felt like forever until he would just be born already. A week late and one induction later, he arrived on what would have been the first day of school, July 29th. So, I had to have a substitute cover my class for the first six-weeks exactly of school (man, that was NOT long enough maternity leave!). Luckily, I had made arrangements to only work a half contract in the afternoon, so my absence wasn't too bad. My team teacher, Deanna Perry, was awesome.
3 years ago: In 2005, Jake was an A1C in the Air Force and we were living in Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, England (I miss it so much!) and....you guessed it....pregnant again with Brendan. I kept busy volunteering with the spouses from the base. My mom had come out and was there to help out with little Caleb while I was induced yet again (my body doesn't like to let babies go). Then, a little while afterward, Jake's mom, Louise, and her friend, Jean Lazane, came out to visit. We toured around a bit, going to Stonehenge, the crooked little village of Lavenham, as well as London - where I incredibly bumped right into an old friend that I graduated high school with! What are the odds of running into someone like that all the way on the other side of the world in the crowded forecourt of the Tower of London? I mean, seriously. That Christmas, we also got to traipse around Scotland with Jake's parents. Loved it!
1 year ago: Last year, we were feverishly planning our international move from England here to Eugene, Oregon, so that Jake could finish up his science classes for med and p.a. schools at the U of O. Before the move, though, we were both super busy with our callings in our ward. Jake was in the bishopric and I was in the RS presidency. It made for crazy schedules and many trips to and from the chapel (thankfully, BEFORE the worst of these gas price jumps), but we were loving it and loving working with the people there. It was also the year of rock concerts. Jake and I went to see the Barenaked Ladies play in Cambridge. Then I went with my girlfriend, Rebekah, to see Simon Webbe. Then for our anniversary, Jake I went to London to see Keane. I guess we were squeezing in what we could before the poverty of being students again set in.
So far this year: Jake registered to take the MCAT. Brendan turned three. I've filed my taxes (woohoo!). Caleb has been loving school and found a new interest in Pokemon cards (I was really hoping that we'd avoid this one). I've finally started our scrapbook of our European adventure.
Yesterday I: Stayed in lockdown to care for a sick child (Caleb was tossing his cookies all weekend and then he had a relapse), snuck out in the afternoon to grocery shop, finished reading The City of Ember, watched the results show for American Idol (I'm waiting for the Oregon girl to go - no offense to Oregonians, I just think she stinks.)
Today I: Am doing laundry, sending Caleb off to school, doing some Easter basket shopping, working a bit on my talk for Sunday (we're talking Easter Sunday...no pressure), and doing a reading/writing lesson with Caleb on the letter "q".
Later tonight: I'm looking forward to relaxing with Jake for awhile, now that he's done with finals. Yea!
Tomorrow: Working more on my talk, planning out some fun things we'll do over spring break, and making pizza and popcorn for "Fun Friday".
This year I hope to: have Jake receive word from med schools or p.a. schools about interviews, plan a fun sixth bday for Caleb, see my brother, Don, off on his mission (still waiting for the word on where), visit with family for the summer, see a bit more sunshine (I've totally reached my cold and dreary quota), work more on my personal history and on our family temple work.
20 years ago: Wow, Ok, age be told. In 1988, I was nine years old (yikes!) and living with my family in Glendora, California. I was in fourth grade and doing the grade school struggle. I remember the daily dramas of girls being friends one day and not being friends the next. But, on a good day, I would be playing four-square or swinging and doing flips on the bars at recess (I remember getting the biggest bruises behind my knees from doing that spinning on one leg trick on the bar). I also had the biggest crush on a guy in my class, Peter Berg. We were also in GATE together, and I thought he was so cute and brilliant. I shudder looked back at pics of myself at that age, though, because that was the pre-braces era. Thanks so much Mom and Dad!
10 years ago: 1998 was a big year for me. It was the year I met Jacob. Man, it's really been ten years! Fresh off his mission, scared of girls and just starting to come to the Institute. I was the Institute president and HAD to do some fellowshipping. Oh, darn. It was also the year that I graduated from VVC in Fine Arts and made ready to transfer in January of 1999 to BYU Provo to study elementary education (yeah, if that's not a stereo-typically Mormon girl thing to do, but hey it worked). Jake and I went on some of the most fun dates during those months before I left. Good memories.
5 years ago: In 2002, I was teaching fifth grade at Sunset View Elementary in Provo while Jake was still at BYU. I was also pregnant with Caleb. Sunset View was a year-round school, so I taught until the end of Mayish and then had the summer to get things ready for the baby. Man, it felt like forever until he would just be born already. A week late and one induction later, he arrived on what would have been the first day of school, July 29th. So, I had to have a substitute cover my class for the first six-weeks exactly of school (man, that was NOT long enough maternity leave!). Luckily, I had made arrangements to only work a half contract in the afternoon, so my absence wasn't too bad. My team teacher, Deanna Perry, was awesome.
3 years ago: In 2005, Jake was an A1C in the Air Force and we were living in Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, England (I miss it so much!) and....you guessed it....pregnant again with Brendan. I kept busy volunteering with the spouses from the base. My mom had come out and was there to help out with little Caleb while I was induced yet again (my body doesn't like to let babies go). Then, a little while afterward, Jake's mom, Louise, and her friend, Jean Lazane, came out to visit. We toured around a bit, going to Stonehenge, the crooked little village of Lavenham, as well as London - where I incredibly bumped right into an old friend that I graduated high school with! What are the odds of running into someone like that all the way on the other side of the world in the crowded forecourt of the Tower of London? I mean, seriously. That Christmas, we also got to traipse around Scotland with Jake's parents. Loved it!
1 year ago: Last year, we were feverishly planning our international move from England here to Eugene, Oregon, so that Jake could finish up his science classes for med and p.a. schools at the U of O. Before the move, though, we were both super busy with our callings in our ward. Jake was in the bishopric and I was in the RS presidency. It made for crazy schedules and many trips to and from the chapel (thankfully, BEFORE the worst of these gas price jumps), but we were loving it and loving working with the people there. It was also the year of rock concerts. Jake and I went to see the Barenaked Ladies play in Cambridge. Then I went with my girlfriend, Rebekah, to see Simon Webbe. Then for our anniversary, Jake I went to London to see Keane. I guess we were squeezing in what we could before the poverty of being students again set in.
So far this year: Jake registered to take the MCAT. Brendan turned three. I've filed my taxes (woohoo!). Caleb has been loving school and found a new interest in Pokemon cards (I was really hoping that we'd avoid this one). I've finally started our scrapbook of our European adventure.
Yesterday I: Stayed in lockdown to care for a sick child (Caleb was tossing his cookies all weekend and then he had a relapse), snuck out in the afternoon to grocery shop, finished reading The City of Ember, watched the results show for American Idol (I'm waiting for the Oregon girl to go - no offense to Oregonians, I just think she stinks.)
Today I: Am doing laundry, sending Caleb off to school, doing some Easter basket shopping, working a bit on my talk for Sunday (we're talking Easter Sunday...no pressure), and doing a reading/writing lesson with Caleb on the letter "q".
Later tonight: I'm looking forward to relaxing with Jake for awhile, now that he's done with finals. Yea!
Tomorrow: Working more on my talk, planning out some fun things we'll do over spring break, and making pizza and popcorn for "Fun Friday".
This year I hope to: have Jake receive word from med schools or p.a. schools about interviews, plan a fun sixth bday for Caleb, see my brother, Don, off on his mission (still waiting for the word on where), visit with family for the summer, see a bit more sunshine (I've totally reached my cold and dreary quota), work more on my personal history and on our family temple work.

Comments