"Do You Feel Lucky?"


Being from not so distant Irish roots (I know, I know, it's impossible to tell by looking at me), I think that St. Patrick's Day ('though stereotypical) is the perfect time to enjoy some of that heritage, so yesterday we had a little fun with it. A year or so ago, I got the idea to have mischievous leprechauns hiding out around the house making little messes as evidence of their fun. The boys absolutely loved it, so I did it again this year. They would go around and suddenly discover that the laundry basket had been overturned, that the broom was on the kitchen floor or that the shoes were set up to look like they were walking out the door. Brendan and Caleb, both, kept "spotting" leprechauns even when I didn't do anything (it was either their own messes or just their imaginations). It was all in good fun. They kept running into the room with the biggest grins on their faces going, "Leprechauns! They made another mess!"
For dinner, I decided to take a chance and finally try some corn beef and cabbage. Last year, we had traditional Irish stew, so I felt that I needed some diversity and it was surprisingly not bad. The boys got a kick out of the green drinks, and under each plate was a shamrock. Whoever got the lucky four leaf clover was the one to bless the meal.
Caleb was the lucky one! Then for dessert, Caleb and I had made some chocolate cupcakes with green frosting. Yummy. (P.S. Caleb wasn't wearing green. What can I say...it was too early to think when I was getting him ready for school. I didn't even think about it until he was on the bus. Oh, well. He told me that he didn't get pinched at school. He probably has another year of school before that really kicks in. Phew!)

Comments

I feel like I say this everytime but you really are the BEST mom in the world. and you have the BEST ideas in the world. I am going to steal all of them so maybe my children will think I am kind of cool.
Justin + kelly said…
i think those leprechauns made it all the way over to my house... maybe that was just justin though, we say it was the little green guys.
that is so fun! haha... and we did absolutely NOTHING to celebrate. I don't think Maggie even knew it was St. Pat's day! I love the leprechaun idea! funny!