Birthday Splash!

Yesterday our baby turned three years old. I can hardly believe it.

Brendan has been excitedly talking about his birthday for months. Last month he kept asking me when I was going to turn the page on the calendar (to March), and finally the long awaited day arrived. True to our little birthday family traditions, his chair was decorated with balloons (most of which popped before lunchtime), he was measured on the little height chart I made back when Caleb was a baby (he's now three feet and one half inch), and got to choose his birthday dinner (pizza) and cake (train decor AGAIN and chocolate - and, no, I don't have any cake decorating skills, but there you go.).
Also, since this was his third birthday, he got to have his first birthday experience. We started doing these a few years back. Jake and I thought that it would be nice if, instead of a big party every year, we'd just had a really fun, special activity or outing as a family. Three just seemed like the best year to start, when they could really understand things. Caleb got to go bowling for the first time when he turned three, and since Brendan loves the water we thought it would be fun to go to a local indoor water play place called "Splash!"
It's actually set up through the park and rec, so the prices are really reasonable, and they have a big water slide, a wave pool, kiddie pools and those big water umbrella things that shed water everywhere - plus it's all indoors and heated (perfect for Oregon weather). It was a good time.

Bren and Caleb both felt that the water slide was the most fun. They also enjoyed riding the inner tube in the wave pool and pretending that they were lost at sea.
After our outing, we had the pizza, cake, ice cream and presents. It was a good day, and he really loved being "the birthday boy". He used it every chance he could to be first for everything (I guess you have to take advantage of those sorts of things when you're the younger one). Happy Birthday, Brendan!

Comments

lisa said…
yay! what a fun day! i had no idea we had an indoor place like that, what a good idea.
jennifer casady said…
Too much fun! Sounds like a very memorable birthday...and I LOVE the cake!
Justin + kelly said…
excellent cake!! i guess all that pracite with the diapers helped... just kidding!! thanks again!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRENDAN!! I can't beleive your baby is 3 either!! Wow you guys are old (= just kidding, I am older than you right? I am glad you guys had a fun outing at "splash" wish we could have come!!!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
WOOHOO!!! Happy Birthday Brendan! It looks like you had an awesome day! "Splash" looks really fun! I wish we had somewhere like that around here... there is one place but it's so expensive we don't get to go very often. I love the cake, by the way! Very cute!!!